Logo

Temperature Gauge

I want to add a temperature gauge to my Evinrude Triumph 65. I don't want to wreck another one.
I see kits on amazon for $30.
Anyone have a preferred kit or installation thoughts?

I am also wondering about making the high temp warning buzzer do more. Maybe louder (thinking siren) or add an idiot light.
I have a spare Selectric Control set to mess around with.

Racerone:

I want a little insurance.

The motor was getting louder before the buzzer went off. I only noticed the buzzer about a minute before the motor stopped running.
The buzzer was too late. A very sad day.
The replacement motor was very expensive. I have swapped its' powerhead onto the blown shorty.
By the way, I always thought the motor was louder than other triples I have driven. I think it had an exhaust leak. The outside of the exhaust pipe was covered in soot.
The exhaust pipe in the replacement motor was pretty clean. Maybe the rebuild will reduce the noise.

I have epoxied a unit heater limit switch..200 deg to lower cylinder on my twin. Wired it to the lower cylinders points. Didn't want to completely cut both cylinders out but did give warning of overheat. Snapdisk makes them.

How 'bout put a fitting at the pee hole elbow on the block? Turn it into a "t".

Last edited:
Firstly. I sure hope to waterski next summer so I can see the water come out of the exhaust relief holes.

Secondly. The is no tell tail on this motor. Adding a tell tail was the original plan, but now I want a gauge. Installation is the same as for a tell tail.

Where to put it? Exhaust cover? Block? Head? Should be upstream of the thermostat.

I never added one on a Triumph. Perhaps we can appeal to another tech who has done it. Yes a good monitor for you is critical. Once bit....twice shy!

Back