Logo

Help: Drive Shaft won't come out of lower unit!

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
I'm so close to having this 50hp 1998 lower unit taken apart. I just can't get the driveshaft loosened from the damned pinion. I'm also wondering what screw #3 is in the diagram linked below. Does it need to come out for shaft to come out (I've already taken it out but don't know what the heck it is).

To be clear, the nut is off, the prop shaft is out it's just the pinion gear itself that is lodged. I don't have any kind of fancy compression puller that I can install on shaft. I tried holding shaft with one hand and then hammering down on a piece of wood on top of the LU...no dice.

Any ideas?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...0TSLECC&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

Screw #3 prevents the pinion bearing from rising due to oil pressure.----It needs to be removed because you are installing a new bearing I hope.----#3 does not need to come out to pull the driveshaft out.

I ended up employing a vise-grip on the shaft and tapping upwards until it gave. A few scratches I need to sand out of the shaft (thanks vice-grip) but got 'er done.

Screw #3 prevents the pinion bearing from rising due to oil pressure.----It needs to be removed because you are installing a new bearing I hope.----#3 does not need to come out to pull the driveshaft out.

ahhhhhhh, thanks. Makes sense. Yep, bearing is MOST DEFINITELY being replaced. I will update my other post with progress to keep things clean but "grenade" is a good way to describe the innards.

Back