Logo

Evinrude 35hp woes

Scolabird

Boat been sitting for 6 months put ear muffs on and no water from tell tale.
Replaced impeller still wont pee, next replaced entire water pump kit and seals... still not peeing from telltale. Did basics, ran long wire all thru telltale to eliminate dirt dobbers or webs. Put foot in water drum to eliminate ear muffs and still not peeing normally from telltale. I noticed when running in water drum an occasional squirt or weak stream but not like it should be and moreover major flow of water out of the 2 "exhaust ports" on back of LEG. Felt the water and it was quite warm but not HOT. Shut her down for fear of over heating. Upon shut down a tiny bit of steam/smoke puffs from telltale. I have replaced water pump 3 times (always dry no r.t.v or other product) in last 6 years and it always pumps with no trouble. Could it have a stuck thermostat? Can outboard be cooling adequately out of those 2 ports without telltale??? : (

Lastly while troubleshooting after the fourth round of crank up and shutting down the starter now clicks 1 time when I turn key? Noticed the bendixe gear was stuck up so I pushed it back down and gently tapped on starter and it tried to crank up one more time then just a CLICK. Could I have fried starter die to weak battery? Anyone know the part number for 35hp starter?Any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated because I'm at my witts end.

Water in your test tank MUST be 8" above the impeller.-------Take starter apart and inspect.-----Might just need new brushes.-----Of course if money is not a problem you can rush out and buy a new one.----Part # is found right here.------Box with --" engine diagrams "-----A few clicks and a new one can be yours in 2 days

What year are we working on and is it a saltwater motor? No, a low battery will not fry the starter. If your battery is not at least 12.4 volts, it should be charged to 12.6 volts. Lube up bendix and try again. Brushes are quite easy to change and be sure to lube the bushings where shaft turns, while you have it apart. Solenoids can fail too.

In my admittedly limited experience when compared to others on this forum ,this kind of problem almost invariably stems from poor connections.Clean thoroughly and tighten all you battery connections,especially the ground.

Back