Logo

1999 BF 15A fuel pump

crewmike

Hi,
I have a 99 BF15a that will run for 4-5 minutes and then cut out. If I squeeze the primer bulb as its dying it will pick back up and keep running. Carb is good and I think its probably the fuel pump. My question is the fuel pump shows unavailable every where I look. Is there a replacement that will work? Is there a rebuild kit for these? Thanks

Test run with another tank and hose.----Some will argue , but I would take the pump apart.-----Possibly make a new diaphragm.----Inspect check valves for dirt.-----Simple in my opinion.

Test run with another tank and hose.----Some will argue , but I would take the pump apart.-----Possibly make a new diaphragm.----Inspect check valves for dirt.-----Simple in my opinion.
Brand new tank and hose. I will take the pump apart but since it’s not available, I was wondering if there is a replacement for it. Thanks

I guess I missed the new tank / hose in the first post.----There likely is a pump that will fit.----- I do not have the expertise today to look for you.

Almost forgot....
When a pump diaphragm fails it can pump fuel directly into the engine oil. Make sure that didn't happen or, to be extra cautious, just change the oil.
Cheap insurance as they say.
Please let us know how it turns out

Crewmike,

Just curious....and I should have thought to ask you this sooner....

You say the fuel tank and hose are new. So, is this an EPA "sealed" tank with a fuel demand valve and "no spray" connectors installed on the hose or is it an old style vented tank?

If it's a sealed tank, did you install the demand valve and fittings yourself?

And, if it's an old style tank but you bought it new, where did you buy it?....if you don't mind saying.

Thank you.

Crewmike,

Just curious....and I should have thought to ask you this sooner....

You say the fuel tank and hose are new. So, is this an EPA "sealed" tank with a fuel demand valve and "no spray" connectors installed on the hose or is it an old style vented tank?

If it's a sealed tank, did you install the demand valve and fittings yourself?

And, if it's an old style tank but you bought it new, where did you buy it?....if you d

Last edited:
New Moeller gas tank. Brand new Honda factory fuel line and primer bulb. No fuel demand valve. I have tried running with the cap off the tank to see if it's a venting issue but the same results. The inline filter fills when I prime it. As it runs it will empty out and the engine dies. If I squeeze the bulb before it dies the filter fills up and it keeps running. I have a new diaphragm on the way for the pump and hopefully that will do it. (didn't see any damage to the diaphragm or anything blocking the inside of the pump)

Sounds like you covered tank and vent function thoroughly.

Hopefully it's the pump and the new diaphragm fixes it. If it doesn't then I would suspect the float valve is sticking closed or the float is set way too low for some reason.

Interesting that they mandated sealed fuel tanks in 2011 but you can still buy a vented one. Wonder what's up with that?

Anyway,

Good luck.

Back