Logo

Electric Sift Questions

I have two 1972 65 horse Evinrudes. A 65272S and a 65273S.
One is a short shaft and the other is standard.

I have some questions.

Do the model numbers indicate the shaft length (transom height)?

The 2 lower units are different. The water intake on one has slots and the other has round holes. (I couldn't upload a pic)
They also have different water pumps. Are these lower units correct for my 2 engines or is one from a previous model year?

Is there a trick to threading the wires through the hole at the bottom of the powerhead? The wires go through, but the part with the spiral grommet (my terminology) doesn't want to go very deep.

Use some oil to help the cable go through.----Short would be a 15" transom.----Is your boat a Humber Jewel?---In Ontario ?---I think replacement lower units were different.---Any pictures of the 2 motors.

Last edited:
Well -----15" is a short shaft.----And what they call " standard " at the time is also for a 15" transom.----Since 65 HP short shaft motors are somewhat rare , someone may have done a lot of work to convert an earlier 71 model 60 HP short shaft to a 65 HP 72 long.-----Do both water pumps have 2 tubes coming out of them.-----Be easy to tell what you have if parts were in front of me !

Thanks for all the responses. I can't believe I misspelled shift

- Yes sir! Humber Jewel, Four Mile Lake, Ontario. Second owner since about 2005.
- Working on the photos. As was pointed out the file was too big. Are there any details or views you would like.

- I will include pictures of the water pumps. They are interesting.

Attachments

• 106_0605.JPG
    106_0605.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 106_0610.JPG
    106_0610.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 18
They tried to revive the Jewel a few years ago.-----I don't think it survived.----Yes post pictures of water pumps and midsections.

Here are the water pumps.
The suction side of the pump on the right is open at the top. Is there a plug missing? Is this why the impeller melted and I blew the engine?
The pump on the right has 2 tubes, but I think the one on the pressure side (top) is just to guide the copper pipe into the pump o-ring during assembly. It doesn't seem to seal to either the pump or the tube.
The bottom plates are identical.
The inside of the right pump has a small slot at the right hand side. the other pump does not.
The pumps had different bolts. Same thread, but different heads. Probably something that happened during maintenance. The left pump had hex head bolts with a 7/16 head and the right pump had flange hex head bolts with a 3/8 head. The bolts all appear to be 1/4 -20.
For reference, the left pump is from the long shaft and the right pump is from the shorty.

20211124_201907.jpg20211124_201821.jpg

Lower units. I have no idea why the pictures flipped upside down.
Left is long shaft and right is shorty.
How interchangeable were 1968-1972 Triumph lower units? I mean between years and horsepowers.

20211124_202036.jpg20211124_202047.jpg

The unit with the round holes is a newer replacement.----The plastic pump housing is a newer replacement kit.----The ruined impeller ( plastic housing ) is due to it running DRY.----Still done today as folks simply do not know it is a mistake.----The 72 models only use ONE copper tube for water supply to the powerhead.

Last edited:
Thanks again.

regarding the water pump.20211126_210509.jpg

Why does one pump have the suction line open through the housing and the other does not?
It seems this would allow air into the pump at high speed. Which would cause the pump to lose prime and melt the impeller.
How does this work?

regarding the lower unit.
Yes, a V-4 lower unit seems unlikely. A newer replacement? Wasn't 72 the last year? Do you know if there are significant differences between an original and newer replacement? Other than the shape of the water holes? They look identical otherwise.
Are the three cylinder lower units interchangeable 1968 through 1972?

Regarding the powerhead, is there a way to tell the difference between the 55, 60 and 65 horse motors? How did they go from 55 hp to an eventual 75 hp?

???----Well ---1972 was the last year they were produced / marketed.----And I know that all too well !----Spare parts were available and the lower unit might have been installed in 1980 !----I would have to see your motors first hand on your other questions.----The 1972 models used 1 water tube ( not a suction tube ) and perhaps someone made a mistake.--Installed parts from say a 1968 model 3 cylinder 55 HP.------For some folks everything / all parts are the same.-----The 55 HP models has just 2 intake ports.-----The 60 HP models had 3 intake ports.----But I would need some tokens for the " in & out " store as blisters on my typing fingers hurt.

Last edited:
Back