Logo

What am I looking at here?

swampyankee

Contributing Member
I just got this boat home and need to sort it our a bit. By the attached pic, someone has bypassed an overload switch of some sort Klixon switch with red wires attached to one terminal). What was it supposed to protect? And what is the other, similar looking device with heavy red wires attached?20211122_120711.jpg

I have no idea what motor you are working on.----Please do tell.-----Posting more pictures might help YOU as well.

I have no idea what motor you are working on.----Please do tell.-----Posting more pictures might help YOU as well.

Ooh, sorry. It's a carburetted, FWC, PCM 5.7 with Mercruiser I/O in a 1987 Slickcraft. A couple more pics of the motor. the device in question is located on top of the fuel filter on the starboard front side of the engine:

Attachments

• 20211122_120521.jpg
    20211122_120521.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Ayuh,..... Donno what that is with the single wire on it,......
The slave solenoid is the other thingy with the other red cables attached to it,.....

Ayuh,..... Donno what that is with the single wire on it,......
The slave solenoid is the other thingy with the other red cables attached to it,.....

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "slave solenoid"

Also, the other thingy that has both red wires tagged to one side has a reset button on the back and appears to be a thermal or overcurrent protection. The LM318s in my Silverton had one each sticking out of the plastic cover for the ignition electrics on the engine.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "slave solenoid"

Also, the other thingy that has both red wires tagged to one side has a reset button on the back and appears to be a thermal or overcurrent protection. The LM318s in my Silverton had one each sticking out of the plastic cover for the ignition electrics on the engine.

Ayuh,..... If the thingy with the wires on one post, has a reset button on it, it's a circuit breaker,......

Boats use a slave solenoid to excite the starter's solenoid, rather than straight from the key switch, so that the starter's solenoid gets full battery voltage, 'n not the voltage loss runnin' power twice the length of the boat on little tiny wires, to, 'n from the key switch,.....

Ayuh,..... If the thingy with the wires on one post, has a reset button on it, it's a circuit breaker,......

Boats use a slave solenoid to excite the starter's solenoid, rather than straight from the key switch, so that the starter's solenoid gets full battery voltage, 'n not the voltage loss runnin' power twice the length of the boat on little tiny wires, to, 'n from the key switch,.....

Ok, so the signal goes from the key switch to a relay (slave solenoid) which powers the contacts on the starter solenoid? I don't recall seeing that on any other boat I had but ok...

Back