Logo

40 HP Engine Mounting

pletz

Hi all - I bought a "new-to-me" 1985 Johnson 40 HP Tiller outboard for my boat (16' alumacraft backtroller). I will be mounting it this winter to have it ready for spring crappie fishing here in the midwest. My goal is to do this once and to do it right :)

Looking for input on the following:

1) Mounting hardware - just buy stainless bolts/nuts from local hardware store? Double-nut to lock in place? Do the bolt heads typically go inside our outside of the boat (does it matter)? This motor does not have the "thumbscrews" I'm used on smaller 15 & 25 HP outboards.
2) Mounting process - my plan is to "hang" the motor on the transom, find center, and drill the lower holes (motor's transom bracket is slotted here to allow room for adjustment up/down). Then I'll determine the best holes to drill up top based on lining up the cav plate with the bottom of the boat (these upper holes are not slotted, but there is a series of 4 on each side). After drilling, I plan to seal the interior edges of the new holes in the transom wood with varethane (same sealant I used when I replaced the transom wood). From there, I'll mount it up. And the last step will be some marine sealant around each bolt, both sides.
3) The "top bracket" (not sure of actual term) where the outboard would "hang" from the transom. If I determine the proper height moves the outboard up, preventing this bracket from "hanging" on the top of the transom, should I shim it to provide that additional support?

Also, I plan to give my new-to-me motor a good cleaning before putting it away for the winter. Planning on my standard winterization process but also thinking about degreasing/cleaning the powerhead. Any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance - always appreciate the knowledgeable input!

J40TELCO is the motor (1985 Johnson 40 HP tiller, long shaft w/electric start). I’d have to get an exact measurement of the transom, but it does require a long shaft motor (20”).

Put / hang motor in place on transom.----Center the motor.----Use C-clamps to clamp it.----Drill top hole at top.----Drill at the top of the slot.----Install with 1/2" stainless bolts with RTV sealer.-----You are now done.

Back