Logo

Older Johnson white color codes Nason Paints

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Here are near perfect matches for Johnson whites in base/clear finishes. These codes could possibly be crossed over to other finishes like DuPont or Pittsburgh, (I believe Nason paint is a subsetary of Dupont). If you don't want to use a clear over, then I would recommend an acrylic enamel like DuPont Centari. I like using a clear over to protect the decals.IMG_20211119_221616436_compress47.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_221721905_compress83.jpg
    IMG_20211119_221721905_compress83.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Tim:
Finished repainting my 1982 OMC Military today. When I purchased this on an eBay auction it was 100% Olive Drab. I covered over the olive drab 15+ years ago with a rattle can but the paint job was failing. I used your formula and clear coated everything when finished. I think it looks beautiful!

Thanks for the formula.

Bruce

IMG_1752.jpg

Beautiful for sure. Great job. Next time I'll hire YOU to paint for me. I'll be doing a 1973 40 Johnson LS tiller. What kind of a spray gun do you have?

Thanks, Tim, for the kind words. I bought a $15.00 gravity feed spray gun from Harbor Freight for this job. It has a small cup but I didn't use a little more than half a pint for the whole job. It sprayed evenly and was easy to clean. In addition, I used a self-etching primer and clear coat from O-Reillys. I won't be using the boat for a few months now so the paint should have plenty of time to set up.

Now my 1971 Starcraft needs a paint job to look as good as the motor. Do you know a website that specializes in correct colors for that? I looked around the Starcraft site but it is mainly dedicated to selling new boats. There is a historical section but doesn't look like it has been maintained. My boat started out life as a Fish and Ski boat. A cabinet maker in in the Faribault area would buy these for little or nothing, gut them and make them into bass boats. I have a casting platform upfront, an 8' rod cabinet on one side and two other cabinets on the other side, and a live well. It is a great set up but needs a paint job and new decals. As always, any info is appreciated.

Bruce

Have you got a sample of the color you want?....anything left on the boat? Faribault MN? What's the significance of the 426?

The paint on my boat is good in places, I just don't know how much it has changed color from the original. It is an off white of some sort. I can clean up a spot and get it scanned if I can't find any information. It also has remnants of "Starcraft" and the logo on both sides. I don't if the decals were originally black or faded from some other color.

We lived in Faribault for 10 years. I was in sales and traveled all over the state. I made it to your part of the world a couple of times a year. Once I was doing a trade show at the Duluth convention center and a bear crossed the interstate in front of me and made its way to the convention center parking lot. He was banging on the big black windows when animal control tranquilized him.

My given name is Bruce Wayne and my birthday is April 26. I have a younger brother named Robin - really!

Ha! I remember that bear incident. I spent some time in Faribault too. Neat little town, but you get tired of it pretty fast. You just never get tired of Duluth. A really cool town....just the right size, not too big, not too small. The StarCraft made a nice boat. My wife has one with an old 150 Black Max. The boat is practically indestructible....the motor IS indestructible. I will do some research, I have some old information in my library of vintage stuff. My very first real job was a StarCraft and Johnson/Evinrude dealer here in Duluth. 1971. Lakeland Sports. Did cleaning, detailing, and inventory. Some light mechanic work. I was only 15. Then went to work for Coca Cola. Made some good money selling pop like Tab and Fresca. Then I realized soft drinks were full of poison, particularly the sugar-free stuff, and I quit. Bought out an old three-man body shop and started in auto body and never looked back. Kept up my marine repair....love it. I wish other techs here would touch on a bit of their history. I know about Joe Reeves....totally remarkable man. Racer is also an Icon. This a family forum, thousands of years of experience, I just wonder how they all got here, and why they spend hours and hours for free, just to help people they don't know. Thanks everyone, I am grateful for all I learn....from all of you.

I did a little more internet searching last night and wound up at iBoats. I need to go to the storage lot where my boat is and take a pic of the manufacturers tag to be sure I am researching correct information. Originally my boat had a windshield and remote steering. All that was removed when modified. I have a short hood in the front, big enough to mount my MinnKota. I would just like to know how it originally looked.

BTW, I found Racer is very active on that site as well with over 21,000 replies.

Back