Logo

Problem with fuel system and motor dying. Help Please!

Pikeslumber

Hello. I'm new to this site and outboard motors. I've had straight in boards before but never an outboard so trying to figure this out. I bought a boat with a 2006 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke efi and the first time I put it in the water it ran great for about 30 minutes and then died. I started from the gas tank working my way to the motor and the pickup line had broken which caused it to die that day. What I didn't realize was that it had really bad dirty gas in it and the pick up wasn't my only problem. I've now replaced the pickup assembly, primer bulb, lines, fuel filter #1/water seperator, inline fuel filter #2 on the opposite side and still having problems. The boat will crank but it quickly dies as soon as it starts. It's almost acts like the motor is cold after it hasn't been cranked in a while. I'm guessing the VST is the next thing to clean out and check? The gas was so dirty I'm almost positive its stopped up somewhere past the first fuel filter but outside of the VST what would you guys check next? The bulb will stay primed but even if the motor starts it will quickly die. Any ideas?
I've completely cleaned out the old gas tank and I have no leaks in the tank or anywhere in the motor that I can find. When I turn the key the fuel pump is cutting on to prime and I'm getting clean gas to the filter now. If there is any more info I can provide that might help Please let me know? Thanks in advance for any help??

Welcome. Have you checked out the TFI unit? Perhaps bad fuel has plugged it up. Same goes for injectors, but they are less likely, because it does fire for a short time. I have removed and cleaned them effectively. Providing proper current and pressure with injector/throttle body cleaner CRC. Be careful, it's powerful stuff....don't get on paint, wear gloves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-003554.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-003554.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back