Logo

50 hp short shaft - should I build with tiller or remote?

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
OK, second question in as many days. I've got this 50hp that came without any controls. It's a short shaft 50hp 1998. My plan is simply to do some repairs, test and verify that motor is good and then sell as I have no need for it...I just projects :)

Here's the question. I have no controls so I can't start it. I either need to get a tiller for this thing OR some controls so that I can at least start and verify motor is in running condition before putting on market. what do you guys think is more marketable: a tiller short shaft 50hp or a remote version...I'm thinking remote, myself.

Model # is ?-----And why can you not run it with no controls ??-----The thing can be started and run with a dead battery and rope on flywheel I think.

Model # is ?-----And why can you not run it with no controls ??-----The thing can be started and run with a dead battery and rope on flywheel I think.
Model #J50TSLECC
Hmmm, well I have no good answer for that. I guess you are right. No reason I can’t start it that way. So with controls unplugged I will still get spark?

Model # seems to indicate it is a long shaft !!-----Correct , the ignition / spark system does not run off a 12 volt battery.----A battery should be hooked up to protect the battery charging system.

As clearly stated gears in these lower units are flimsy.-----Have a high failure rate.-----Teeth are smaller than a 33 HP motor of the 1960's.----Bearings are less robust.-----That is why lower units can be difficult to find.----Shops know full well of the demand for these.

Urban Dictionary meaning: Hen's teeth means that something is difficult to acquire or come by. This alludes to the fact that Hen's do not grow teeth

Definitely keep it a remote. Controls are a bit more affordable than to convert to a tiller. Of you can't find a good price on controls/cables, you can call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN @ 218 682 2331. Over the years, they have provided me with beautiful controls and cables. It does look kinda like a short shaft, but Racers a helluva lot sharper than me.

Last edited:
The model # clearly indicates long shaft.-----Only practical method to covert to short is a donor motor and lots of time.

Yes most certainly. Racer, your right. It shows an L for longshaft here. Having to change the exhaust housing and other parts to convert, is not a simple task. Seems like the seller has a few parts around too. Perhaps like me, feeling comfortable with PLENTY of projects.

Yes most certainly. Racer, your right. It shows an L for longshaft here. Having to change the exhaust housing and other parts to convert, is not a simple task. Seems like the seller has a few parts around too. Perhaps like me, feeling comfortable with PLENTY of projects.

Yep, just like you, Tim, I like to have a few projects on the go. Some in my family would argue that my projects aren't always the highest priority but it's my form of meditation! What threw me with the shaft length is that the model # appeared to have an extra digit plus there was an "S" right next to the "L". With the extra digit, I wasn't sure which was the shaft length. probably just an incorrect website that I was visiting to figure out how to read the model #.

This project appears to be quite do-able and I've been able to enlist my daughter's help (she lives in Florida) to find some affordable parts for me down there. I've come to realize that at this point, most of the stuff I enjoy doing happens in the spring/fall/summer. I need some stuff on the go to keep me focused in spring at this point.

Last edited:
If I live to be 90....and still twisting wrenches....and swinging a hammer, I might finish about 1/2 of my projects, the rest will be auctioned for scrap, probably. Guess I won't really care, but in my final moments, I might hope they could be continued. I know this isn't Facebook here, but it's sometimes okay to express feelings. This is a pretty cool family, offering helpful advice, and time....for free.

If you are pining for youth I think it produces a stereotypical old man because you only live in memory, you live in a place that doesn’t exist. I think aging is an extraordinary process whereby you become the person that you always should have been.
– David Bowie

Last edited:
If you are pining for youth I think it produces a stereotypical old man because you only live in memory, you live in a place that doesn’t exist. I think aging is an extraordinary process whereby you become the person that you always should have been.
– David Bowie

Nice quote, at first I didn't see the Bowie reference and figured it was a Tim special. Either way, it's bang on!

Back