Logo

1976 6hp Evinrude high thrust prop?

I see it, Racer, but it says "not available". That's the exact words my wife of 22 years said, the first time we talked....on the phone.

I believe they were mostly fitted to the long shaft models, for use on sailboats, (I think they used the letter “S” to designate sail model) where you had a heavy boat that would never get on plane.
The finer pitch allowed the motor to reach full rpm, while only pushing the boat at low speed.
Your best bet may be to find a “sail model” parts motor.

Thanks Ed. I have the motor sold after I extended to a 20-inch for a sailboat out east, but only if I can produce a high thrust prop for it. I have been corresponding with a potential buyer on eBay and he will need a high thrust prop, otherwise he will look for a newer motor with a splined output shaft. The standard propeller is a three-blade 8x7. This is certainly not going to do the job for him on a heavy sailboat. He needs a motor that he can physically lift off the transom bracket when he gets out to sea. Currently he has an eight-horsepower 20-in shaft 4-stroke which is too heavy....especially being in an awkward position to make the lift

Hi, found an 8.6 by 5.5 new prop at Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. $50. Do you think it would work? The 1976, 6 horse I would ship out east is like brand new, very low hours, mint. The guys sailboat is currently using an 8 HP 4 stroke. He says the 8 horse is just enough to do what he needs. Thanks, Tim

It guy, I know this is an older post, but are you still looking for the low pitch sailboat prop?
I just went & looked at a 70’s Evinrude 6HP today.
It needs the tiller handle replaced as it fell over & broke.
I would have bought it, as I’m sure Racerone has a spare one, but I passed as it was a long shaft, with the sailboat prop. Not sure how easy a resell it would be.
He said he would settle for $100 CDN, that’s only about $65 USD for the entire motor, which he said fired up & ran.

Great deal. I have a place near Dryden, Vermillion Bay. Do you ever get down that way? I had to modify a newer sailboat prop to fit the older motor and shipped that one down to Florida. The sailboat guy's really love the old six horsepower two strokes as they are easy to lift on and off. I am sure I will need another high thrust prop someday soon. Thanks, Tim in Duluth and Quibell Ontario, Big Cannon Lake.

He still has it, however Dryden is about 1600 km from me.
if you know of anyone who’s coming out towards the Toronto or Orillia Way I’d grab it and hang on to it for you.

He called me back, said the only other person who looked at it passed & he didn’t work something out with someone who said they had a tiller handle.
The Good
Its actually a ‘74 (6403C) long shaft. 6HP
I picked it up for $50 CDN, about $35 USD.
Got into it today. No water in gear oil, just grungy.
Compression both jugs 95 psi. Gaskets look,original hasn’t been apart.
Impeller looks new, is very flexible, SS plate & metal pump housing, no scoring, everything came apart easy.
Drive shaft has no corrosion, & came out of crank shaft.
Pulled the flywheel- coils look new.
The bad
no spark on top cylinder
Didn’t have time to investigate further than looking at coils.
bottom end paint is in poor shape, like you see when they sit in the water all season, at least if was fresh water.
Damned near lost the little “T” fitting that drives the impeller, luckily found it, they want $9 for that tiny bit of metal.

Last edited:
Back