Logo

engine dies if you put into gear too fast

bradpski

So my boat has been in the shop for 8 weeks now and I'm already over $3000 in the hole.

2007 Bayliner with 3.0ltr Mercruiser Stern

The problem is that when you put it into gear, if you throttle too fast it dies, you need to gently increase until it is up and going before accelerating or it just dies.

the mechanic has already replaced the carburetor and also manifolds but problem persists.

He is now suggesting to rebuild the motor at an additional cost of east. $4000

Please give me some advice before I spend this money.

Thanks in advance.

get a new mechanic....seriously...

Have anyone assessed the overall health of the engine?

If that has been done and is viable, I'd make sure the ignition timing advances 'per the manual'...

Have someone mechanically competent look at the accelerator pump in your carb and make sure it's working properly.

Jeff

PS When Merc (and others) went to fuel injection, that problem went away (to be replaced by others, unfortunately).

He says the carb is "new" whatever that means. If we can assume that it is indeed new, then the reason for running out of gas must be upstream of the carb.

Just FYI, slow acceleration and deceleration is kinda how you wanna roll. Jacking the go lever to 100 from a dead stop is really hard on everything. This is why (proper) ski boats have straight inboards.
This is not to say you don't have a problem there, just that after you have it repaired try to keep the hard starts to a minimum

So my boat has been in the shop for 8 weeks now and I'm already over $3000 in the hole.

2007 Bayliner with 3.0ltr Mercruiser Stern

The problem is that when you put it into gear, if you throttle too fast it dies, you need to gently increase until it is up and going before accelerating or it just dies.

the mechanic has already replaced the carburetor and also manifolds but problem persists.

He is now suggesting to rebuild the motor at an additional cost of east. $4000

Please give me some advice before I spend this money.

Thanks in advance.

By up and going what do you mean - boat is up on a plane?

to me its seems carburation related or is the shift interrupt activating because the shift cable is dragging? Disconnect shift interrupt and try it. Carb was replaced but was fuel system cleaned or did the new carb get clogged with the same contaminates in fuel tank?

Seems a stretch to replace the engine because it stalls going into gear - was a compression or leak down test performed ? Was there evidence of water leaking via manifold into cylinders?

Would also agree mechanic sounds suspect

Have someone mechanically competent look at the accelerator pump in your carb and make sure it's working properly.

Jeff

PS When Merc (and others) went to fuel injection, that problem went away (to be replaced by others, unfortunately).

He said he put a brand new carb on from another boat to test it and the problem was the same!

Just FYI, slow acceleration and deceleration is kinda how you wanna roll. Jacking the go lever to 100 from a dead stop is really hard on everything. This is why (proper) ski boats have straight inboards.
This is not to say you don't have a problem there, just that after you have it repaired try to keep the hard starts to a minimum

I agree, from idle, I put it into gear, and literally if I don't baby it for the first 500m until it is up to a steady plane it just dies.
I never crank it even when pulling skier, always slow and smooth.

By up and going what do you mean - boat is up on a plane?

to me its seems carburation related or is the shift interrupt activating because the shift cable is dragging? Disconnect shift interrupt and try it. Carb was replaced but was fuel system cleaned or did the new carb get clogged with the same contaminates in fuel tank?

Seems a stretch to replace the engine because it stalls going into gear - was a compression or leak down test performed ? Was there evidence of water leaking via manifold into cylinders?

Would also agree mechanic sounds suspect

Thanks, yep, I have to really baby the throttle from idle to about 500m until up on a plane, (way too slow to pull ups a skier or kneeboarder) otherwise it just dies. once up on a plane then I can go fast no problems.

I have asked him if he has done a compression test or leak down, will hear today.

Problem with changing mechanics now is that I'm already $3K in the hole, If I switch I will have to start again with new mechanic.

Thanks, yep, I have to really baby the throttle from idle to about 500m until up on a plane, (way too slow to pull ups a skier or kneeboarder) otherwise it just dies. once up on a plane then I can go fast no problems.

I have asked him if he has done a compression test or leak down, will hear today.

Problem with changing mechanics now is that I'm already $3K in the hole, If I switch I will have to start again with new mechanic.

Sounds like you are putting good money after bad with this guy. Sounds like there are still fuel contamination related issues.

If he gave no reason to install a new engine find another mechanic. You would think if someone brings a boat of unknown condition in for performance issue a compression test which takes about 15 min would be performed first. Also would think he would give clear and concise reasoning before asking you for $4 k for new engine after already spending $3 k

>Has anyone taken a look at the shifter cable and the ignition cut-out switch adjustments.

>Another possibility could be the quality of your fuel lines. Ethanol in fuel could have deteriorated the interiors of your fuel line. On the heavy vacuum created when accelerating, fuel line can become drawn closed to cause a restriction limiting fuel delivery.

Back