Logo

Honda outboards and others: managing salt crystal build-up in outboard cooling pathways

23sailor

I have been on an extensive journey trying to manage the build-up of salt deposits within the cooling system of my Honda outboard motors, between 7.5 HP and 15 hp, As a normal management of these motors, I have always have always run them in fresh water after marine use to "flush" them clear of any salt residues. What I have discovered in all of them, that as much as I try to clear these motors of salt residuals, when I access the water jacket pathways inside the motors to change thermostats, etc., I still find caked salt crystallization within the interior of the motors. My first clue is usually a reduction of flow through the water flow indicator hose (pee hose). The 15 hp Honda hose connects to a plastic nozzle fitting at the exit point, which constricts the pee flow, as "kidney stones" try to be passed, which complicates water discharge considerably, but the constriction gives a warning that all is not well within.

On all of my motors, when I have removed the intake manifold casting, I have found precipitated salt deposits constricting the water flow throughout the motor. On one of my motors, a 7.5 hp, these caked deposits caused overheating in the unit, yet for years, I have religiously flushed the motor with fresh water after any marine use.

Puzzled, when I last changed the thermostat, I cleaned all salt deposits reachable with the intake manifold removed, but was left wondering how much salt was left within the motor that I could not see. I used mini-bottle brushes and all sorts of physical tools to remove any crystalized salt that I could find. I also ran vinegar down the passageways accessible with the intake manifold off, but never had a way to figure out how many areas that were inaccessible to my labors.

I am by no means an outboard mechanic, but I have enough background in chemistry to understand solutions at some level, crystallization forces and bonding, heat effects with solubility, and electrolysis.

I worked on my engine blocks diligently, injecting vinegar solutions, flushing with fresh water, digging out any loose crystalized salt, etc. before reassembling the motors. My end results were greatly improved water flow, and a return to normal operation. I noted that the vinegar solutions used had the effect of turning the hard-crystalized salts into a more friendly slushy aggregation when I encountered crystals in the process of reassembly. Visualize here, slushy snow rather than a salt cake.

Building upon this observation, I am reasoning that a continuous program of post-marine use maintenance should involve some form of treatment that re-dissolves crystalline deposits rather than simply a quick freshwater rinse. the reason here is a basic chemistry law that requires an energy bump to convince a crystalized salt to give up its tightly bound structure and return to a solution form.

Following this train of thought, crystals are more easily released into solution in a heated environment. An acidic environment also discourages crystal formation. If that is the case, using a warmed acidic flush should help to remove crystals of salts from the internal areas of the motor, without tearing down the motor or finding all of the inaccessible channels.

I used this chemistry logic and put it to use on my three motors. After some initial purging in a vinegar solution in my test tank, (clean garbage can), I was able to capture little bits of slushy crystalline shards. Think passing kidney stones here. After a time, the kidney stones dissipated somewhat, and all motors began to pee like 8-year-old boys.

So in a sense, I have found a way to manage salt build-up in my motors. However, here is where I would like input from the brain trust.

I just ran my 7.5hp for sea trials following some major maintenance. It Peed OK, but I was still unsure if all cooling channels were clear. I was freshing out the motor in my "tank", the motor was at full operating temperature, with thermostat open, and I looked at the pee hose. I said to myself, "Self, what would happen if I back-flushed the water pathway with vinegar right now with the warm engine? The vinegar should find its way completely through the cooling system back to the water pump, dissolving any salt left in the system."

With little to lose, I did just that, a mouthful at a time upstream into the pee hose. I let it sit for a bit, and then restarted the motor. Granted, I may be biased, but I believe I had improved water flow even more. I have no way to know how much residence time I had within the motor for the vinegar, but I think I ran enough vinegar into the motor to at least wet the cooling surfaces.

I am thinking that this little step after marine use might be a simple way to reduce both residual salt deposits inside the motor as well as discourage the formation of future salt deposits. the only downside I can see is that vinegar , being acidic, will react with any sacrificial anodes (zincs) inside the motor, shortening their life somewhat. To lessen that concern, after letting my vinegar flush sit for awhile, I did a final rinse with fresh water to purge the acid.

My 7.5 has no internal anodes, but my 15 hp does, which reminds me: I need to locate it and change it.

There are a lot of really smart folks on this site: what do the real guys think here? I am happy to be sent back to chemistry class, which is way easier than dealing with an overheated motor in rough seas.

Best to all, and thank you in advance for any inputs. Glen Moore, Seattle.

Hi Glen,
Your experiences with flushing your outboards of salt deposits is interesting to me. I haven't done much in that regard because most of my experience is mostly with lake water used outboards. But I have noticed, over time, that even fresh water will leave stubborn mineral deposits inside the cooling system that actually embed within the metal. I have seen that physically removing the minerals runs the risk of also removing the metal that they have attached to if you get too aggressive with scraping.

Having an effective way of removing the minerals and not the metal is something everyone would benefit from so I welcome the efforts of guys like you to find the "better way".

As far as the internal zinc inside your Honda 15, I only know of one. It is located behind the water jacket near the flush valve. I will try to attach a link for a parts diagram. Always order and replace the attachment screw when replacing your zinc because it deteriorates and will ultimately seize.

See items 1 and 12 in the link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...a-vin-balj-1400001-to-balj-1499999/thermostat

Also, I'm not sure how effective backflushing through the tell tale port would be. The tell tale is a "branch" off of the pump delivery as it enters the bottom of the engine block. Because of the physics of path of least resistance I'm afraid most of the backflow will simply exit out of the inlet and down the water pipe to the pump cavity. But I see no harm in doing that and it will probably help keep deposits and debris from accumulating in the bypass.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Is the ---" white stuff "----That you see really salt ?-----If it was salt then fresh water flushing would quickly remove it from the motor!

Wrong, fresh water does not easily dissolve salt crystals once they're established. The trick is to flush the engine as soon as it's removed from the water, as in before t he saltwater starts to dry and crystallize. Vinegar is a good option , but the best results are achieved by filling a large enough tub with it and running the engine in it for at least 15min followed by a freshwater flush. This would be practical to do once in a while, not after every use. Bottom line, if you don't want salt build up then don't use the engine in saltwater, there is no magic answer

The white stuff you see in a motor is not SALT.-----Water dissolves lots of salt.-----The oceans are full of it.-----There is even lots of gold in ocean water.-----Water is used to bring salt ---( long established stuff)-----out of the ground as an efficient mining process.

Last edited:
My experience tells me that flushing with fresh water immediately after the engine is shut down and still hot, is fairly effective. I am fortunate that I have my own boat lift, so as soon as I have the boat secure on the lift and still rising, I hook up the fresh water flush using quick-disconnect fittings on the flush hose. Then, let the fresh water run for at least 20 minutes while unloading and washing down the deck. Subsequently, whenever I have pulled my t-stats, there is some corrosion, but not a lot.

One thing to mention - when flushing my 225, the fresh water barely gets to the bottom of the t-stats, and only after several minutes, even when using a 3/4" diameter hose at max water pressure from my well pump. When I tested with a 1/2" hose in my driveway, water never got to the t-stats.

So, after 2200+ hours, I have no overheating issues. I constantly monitor manifold temperatures using external heat sensors on each manifold, which feed to temp gauges on my console.

The hard white spots are carbonate salts of calcium and magnesium from the sea water. As the cooling system dries, the salts form as carbon dioxide is absorbed from the atmosphere. As stated, if you flush right away, the salt is easily removed. But once the carbonates form, it take low pH (acid) to re-dissolve them. Vinegar will remove light deposits, but after heavy deposits form only stronger acids such as found in commercial de-scaler are necessary.

Crystallization's the key word here. The real trick is to flush your motor as soon as it comes out of the water. Once the saltwater dries and forms crystals, they will continue to grow as time goes on. Too many people skip flushes or do it the next day, that's too late. The other good thing is to use you boat regularly.I work on outboards every day and I have seen well kept , regularly used motors that are very clean internally when doing the anode replacements.And pne other thing, do not use the flushing attachment on the motor unless it's your only option, always do a hot flush with the motor running and flush for at least 3-4 mins.

Crystallization's the key word here. The real trick is to flush your motor as soon as it comes out of the water. Once the saltwater dries and forms crystals, they will continue to grow as time goes on. Too many people skip flushes or do it the next day, that's too late. The other good thing is to use you boat regularly.I work on outboards every day and I have seen well kept , regularly used motors that are very clean internally when doing the anode replacements.And pne other thing, do not use the flushing attachment on the motor unless it's your only option, always do a hot flush with the motor running and flush for at least 3-4 mins.
Ian,

Some of us dock our boats on a lift, so it is not possible to do a hot water flush with engine running. My experience is that I start flushing as the boat is being lifted, using the flush port (which I modified so that I can attach a fresh water hose at the back of the transom) for at least 20 minutes. So, after 2350+ hours, it's still cooling fine and no obvious salt buildup. The last time I changed the t-stats there was very little corrosion evident under the t-stat seats. The t-stats are the last thing to get any fresh flushing water and it takes about 10 minutes for the flushing water to even get to them, based on a little experiment I undertook several years ago. So, for those who cannot do the recommended fresh water flush with engine running, then make sure you flush immediately after pulling the boat and ALWAYS flush for a minimum of 20 minutes.

Back