Logo

Older Honda 7.5HP intake swap?

Handyman85083

Does anyone know if the intake from a BF75 (Honda mid 1980s 7.5hp) will bolt onto an older B75 (Honda mid 70s 7.5hp)? I've heard that the newer carbs for the 8hp Honda outboards will work on the BF75s that have the carb bolted on horizontally. The older B75 motors have a different carb design that bolts on vertically. I'd like to purchase and install a BF75 intake and newer 8hp carb if possible.

Thanks

If you go to boats.net, select the part in question then scroll down to the bottom and you’ll find a list of all engines and models that the part in question will fit. You should be able to figure out which parts are interchangeable.

My short answer is....I don't know.

But I probably understand your reason because the old carbs are no longer available.

The problem with using boats.net to determine exchangeability is that you won't have any year model indication to go by. It just says "pre 1997"
above each model of the 7.5hp. So, even if you have the original frame number, you would still need to guess at the date of manufacture.
You will only have the visual reference of the part illustration to go by and they all pretty much look the same to me.

As for the 8 hp carb working....maybe. Those carbs bolted on horizontally until 2001 and the 2000 and older are also no longer available.

While adapting a post 2000 8hp carb and intake to an older 7.5hp is likely "do-able" with a bit of adaptation and possibly some cutting and welding, you may not be pleased with the outcome. Like I said, I don't know.

The later 8 carb is a different animal altogether and is way more "finicky" about fuel and maintenance. Very difficult to clean if it gets mineralized. And...you need to make sure that you get a pull choke model since the 7.5 engine won't support the SE autochoke system. At least I don't think that it will anyway.

Good luck with your project.

Forgot to say that, if you decide to go forward with trying the 8hp carb refit, I recommend that you choose a carb that DOES NOT have the accelerator pump. Those accelerator pumps are virtually useless and they will cause you problems as the carb gets mineral deposits built in the additional internal plumbing associated with them. Especially the accelerator pump nozzle and feed tube.

Manual choke and NO accelerator pump will be the least problematic refit.

Good luck.

Thank you for the insight jgmo. I won't be progressing until I locate one of the mid-80s version intakes and see if it fits or machine myself an adapter to turn the intake port 90 degrees so a horizontal mounted carburetor will attach.

Back