Logo

2020 Honda 250 - Power Trim Issue

CEB

I have a 2007 World Cat and recently replaced previous Honda 225's with 2020 250's. After putting boat on trailer last trip, I lost all power to my starboard engine. Upon inspection the next day, I found a 10a fuse (#5 in fuse panel) blown. Ended up tracing issue back to a wire that was grounding out in throttle (throttles are original to boat, and not replaced when changing engines). Repaired that wire, engine trimmed up and down fine for a bit and now will only trim down from throttle not up. Engine will trim up and down no problem at switch on engine. Any ideas what could be issue with not trimming up all of a sudden? I have visually inspected everything and it seems fine.

Another issue I have found is that when I have an issue with power trim and it blows the #5 10a fuse, engine not only loses ability to start but it also kills the engine while running when fuse blows. This seems crazy to me and the last thing I want is to be caught with one engine offshore over a simple fuse that should only handle power trim. Has anyone else had this issue and can I possibly bypass putting ignition on a separate fuse?

Why wouldn't you replace your controls and harnesses when going to the expense of brand new engines? You clearly have an issue with the control harness to the helm. No this is not a common problem, you will need to arm yourself with a manual/ wiring diagram and do some electrical trouble shooting

Agreed. Bought the boat soon after engines were put on. I actually tried to get new throttles installed about 6 months ago, but dealer talked me out of it. Said the expense wasn't worth it.

I have the wiring diagram, but thinking it might be the switch itself that may have been damaged when knicked wire was shorting out. Going to try and see if I can find the switch only with harness to replace.

Back