Logo

2010 f75 squealing noise

AdamGreen

Same person, different post and assumed separate issue with same motor as rpm post.
About 2 years ago, I started noticing an intermittent squealing noise coming from my tiller. Usually it was after a sustained run wide open and then running at trolling speed. Some days it would not happen, others it did and did intermittently all day. It is a sound that sounds like a squeal and intensifies a throttle goes up. Forward, reverse and neutral all makes it.
So, I took it in and the tech had heard of this before (w/o hearing the sound himself) and believed it was a drive shaft bushing. I had that replaced as well as the water pump impeller since it had original and they were down there. About 4 uses later, it started making the same sound again and now. That looked sat it and the said sediment was scoring the bushing area around shaft and cleaned it, lubed it and now 3 times over, it still does that same after after about 3-4 uses. The last time, they tested the drive shaft and confirmed it was true and explained how flushing the motor more frequently may help. Rinse and repeat, still makes sound intermittently w/o rhyme or reason.
The mechanic said it will not harm motor - but the sound is so irritating and I believe has a negative affect on fishing when trolling. Does anyone have experience with this sound and a more permanent fix? How is sediment building up there? I never run motor through much or sand or weeds, etc.
Can I just have the bushing taken out - or is that too risky?

Appreciated,
-Adam G.

Back