Logo

Mercury gear oil in Honda

My dealer said that this is what they have been putting in the lower units. " Mercury High Performance Gear Lube SAE 90". I think I've read this somewhere that its fine to use. Anybody here can vouch for that?

Thanks

Yes.-----Some early Honda motors used lower units very similar / the same as Mercury.-----So yes it will work fine.------Blunt statement again.----This means that oil and lubrication in machinery is not well understood

Here's a link to a free download from Honda publishing about doing a lower unit oil change. It might interest you.

https://publications.powerequipment.honda.com/details/PCI54252APDF

I'll never forget when my friend told me that he had changed the oil in his truck with a manual transmission and now it was very hard to shift. I asked him what kind of oil he used and when he said "gear oil of course" I knew immediately what the problem was. His 5 speed stick shift was supposed to be filled with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID....not gear oil! He was doing what he had always done on his previous vehicles but things had CHANGED and he hadn't bothered to RTFM...(Read The Flinging Manual).

So, no matter what the answer might be....
KUDOS to you for having the wisdom to ask the question!

Last edited:
To be clear, rtfm, if it says 90 weight gear oil, use that. If the spec is the same, mercury or Honda gear oil is the same. If the manual says use only Honda 90 weight gear oil, you can still use whatever brand meets the spec. Your new Honda manual may tell you to get your dealer to change your lower end gear oil or spark plugs, manuals for new stuff assumes we are dumb?

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to call anyone dumb. The point of my little story was simply to emphasize the fact that keeping current with changes can be very important when you do your own maintenance.

While I do THINK that nothing has changed with later model gearcase lube requirements and I do THINK that the Merc lube is perfectly suitable for a Honda, the fact is, I don't KNOW for sure. And....neither would anyone else without RTFM. That's all.

You can use the Merc Hi Perf gear oil in your Honda..... I use it in everything except Yamaha HD lowers and Volvo Penta Drives....

I even use it in my Strange Built rear axle in my car.

My reputable Marine shop said the same thing cannot be put in the volvo penta drives. Im not saying i don't trust them. I was just making sure that everybody else was on the same page on this matter. All my parts and oil are Honda. Its just this time I was finally winterizing my outboard myself because warranty was over.
Thanks for all your input!!

Back