Logo

7.5 and 9.9 Prop hubs for 1978 -85 Merc outboards

Bayliner18

Does anyone know if Mercury Marine has a way to repair these older 8.75 inch x 7pitch or 9in X 9 pitch props? I have had 3 now with seized props on the splines. Pulling them always destroys the rubber hub. A good used one, seems impossible to find and usually, a new one runs around $110+ and then shipping charges extra.

These are 8 spline units (aluminum) .560 in at crest and .438 in at root.
Turning point propeller makes a hub for the newer engines only. The splines are okay but the phenolic hub is larger than the female 63/64 prop insert.

I was wondering about trying a Rubex brand RBX – A10 but not sure. My other option is to buy some appropriate spline stock and rubber and make my own.

I would like to save these props if I can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this same issue and knows of an easier or cheap fix?

Thanks

In salty water you need to remove props on a regular basis.----Grease or seal water out of the splines.-----Might be able to find a used prop or hubs here.----King's Prop Repair in Ontario.

I agree, but I bought these engines just for parts and for a really great price. There are many still around, in great shape despite their lack of maintenance. A used prop for $20 or $30 or so, is helpful but not always a sure thing. I was hoping to find a hub replacement, if I could. In any case, I will look further into King's and see what they have. Thanks.

Back