Logo

1990 4HP information please

guzzis3

Hi all.

I have been searching and reading as best I can. Unfortunately I had 2 strokes last year and am now part blind. I also have a condition called aphasia which, in my case, means reading is a challenge.

Thus if this has been covered I would very much appreciate a pointer to the information. I hope I am not lazy, but I have run out of ideas on how to find answers.

I mostly sail and row and have relatively little experience with boat motors. I am a mechanic and mech eng so I know the general ideas but my questions are specific to my motor.

I have an evinrude A E4RDHLESR. Before I bought it I looked up the model number and took it to mean long shaft. When I got it home and measured it it's not. It's 15" approx. So now I want to chase down parts to convert it or get another motor.

What I can't figure out is the differences between evinrude and johnson 4hp motors of that era.

What year models interchange parts with my motor, specifically the shaft extension and the high thrust prop 8.6x5.5.

Can someone explain the differences between the various 4hp models for that year and the surrounding years - same series.

I believe the delux means mine has the gearbox off the bigger motor but the 4hp leg ?

There is a sailboat model I've seen mentioned. What difference is there with that ?

What I'm trying to understand is which parts I might be able to use on my motor. I need it to push a big catamaran around. Doesn't need to be quick I'll only use it for docking etc. I sail everywhere else.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum. Johnson and Evinrude are basically the same, but

never saw a "Deluxe" in a Johnson. These have a larger "rudder like" lower

unit in order to provide better steerage. The sailboat model is longer. In fact

I have here an older Johnson 6 with a 29" shaft. It uses 3 spacers between

the leg and lower unit. The reason I bought it is because I wanted a long

Johnson. My wife likes it too. It's advertised on eBay if you want to see it. I

can round up a longshaft kit for your 4, here in Minnesota, might be hard to

find down under. Spent some time in Australia in 1995. Loved it. Going

back with wife and son as soon as this Covid crap is over. Know some very

fine people on the Gold Coast.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

The designations are confusing. Did the standard motor have forward and reverse or did you spin it to reverse ?

I appreciate your offer but I suspect postage to Australia would be prohibitive. I'd love an extra long leg I just didn't think such a thing would be available for the 4hp.

I thought the 6 was a different chassis ? ie 3 - 4 hp is one series and the 4.5 - 8 is another but I've no idea. I'd like to get the workshop manual, that might explain some stuff, but while the manual is cheap on ebay the postage is a killer.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/294383002388?hash=item448a982314:g:A2MAAOSw9i9hOJ7P

manual $3.36 shipping $28.34.

Stacking the castings is fine but where do you get a longer drive shaft shift shaft etc ?

Yes, I don't like Yamahas that much either. Some parts are super expensive and hard to find.

You don't really know me but I fix 'em all....since 1966 in Duluth MN.

Can you send a picture of your motor?

Post pictures of the motor.----Sometimes there is a difference / confusion with model designation on international models.----Does this motor use full gear shift.---Forward , neutral and reverse ?

Last edited:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mou...nted-4hp-evinrude-johnson-or-parts/1284804670

This is the ad I placed on gumtree. It features several photos of the motor. I am not sure how to post here. Remember I'm blind so figuring stuff like that out is a bit of a challenge.

It has a lever for forward neutral and reverse.

I don't hate any brand. I guess I should explain.

I've been sailing since the 80's. Many of the boats I've owned had no motor at all. I mostly want one now for close quarters manouvering because the world has got a lot more litigious.

Here in Queensland our boat laws are really simple. Under 3kW you don't need registration. Under 4.5kW you don't need a licence. So a 4hp saves me about $300/yr. A 6hp requires no licence. I don't know if I am going to lose mine. I will eventually have to hand in my car and motorcycle licences but I'm hoping to keep my boat licence.

Anyway if I can make do with a 4hp it saves money and hassles. Like I say I only want it for docks, rafting up, that sort of thing. I sail everywhere.

Thank you very much for the interest.

That would be the 4.5 HP deluxe model.--------Same midsection and gearcase as the 6 / 7.5 / 8 HP models for many years.----Easy to find the 5 inch longer spacer.---Same for all years.------Finding the driveshaft and shift rod will be the challenge.-------Just took one of these apart ( 1985 ) to replace a piston.

Good. Thanks, that what I thought you had. Actually a 4.5. Thanks, Racer for helping out here.

Have you ever seen the 5" long shift coupling"? That would take care of one problem.

There is no shift coupling.------A longer one piece shift rod is used.-----A competent shop / individual can can modify the driveshaft and shift rod to make them 5" longer.-----But I do not know what services / talent are in the posters area.

Right....dah! This unit has a turning cam shifter. There are some damn good machinists around down there in Australia. I could attempt it here, but shipping, once again, is prohibitive. I certainly hope our poster can recover some vision. I really can't imagine being blind.
Wonder what the distance is from the mounting bracket to the water level?

Thank you for the replies.

Please remember I'm in a different time zone and I do sleep sometimes :D

Water depth isn't a problem. The motor does not sit behind a transome so you need the prop deeper to minimise cavitation. That's why I want the long leg.

I am/was a mechanic by trade and mech eng by profession. Fabrication is trivial, even now I can't see so well. I can make the parts but I'd prefer to buy.

The motor is labelled as a 4hp. I thought the 4.5 was the same as the 5/6/8 ? and the 4 was the 3/4hp block ? How would I tell ?

PS yes being blind is the worst. I have always thought losing my eyes would be worse than anything else I can imagine. But it is what it is. Sitting down and crying about it doesn't fix anything. I'm just getting on as best I can. There is virtually no chance of recovery. There was a bleed inside my brain that broke some connections. Apparently they don't grow back. There is no therapy or treatment for it as there is for for example limb paralysis. Anyway back to boats. Thank you for your concern.

Finding information on these is a real problem. I haven't seen anything "official" so all I've found is stuff on the internet and you know how reliable that is. I wish I had a manual. Does the factory manual cover the differences between models ?

The motor has a lable "made in australia" but I suspect it's the same as other versions. I found a claim that the delux used the gearbox and cowling from the bigger motors but the smaller motor.

I assume parts interchange from the same model in that production series, which seems to be 1990 - about 1996 ?

I don't suppose there is somewhere I can look to find out what I've got ? I guess I'll just have to trawl through the parts lists and see what's different between models. That's going to take me some time.

Last edited:
The motor I have is labeled 4.5 HP and has the classic 3 / 4 hp block first designed / marketed in 1955 I think.---Needle bearings and ball bearing means that the motor has less internal drag.-----More power to the prop !--The motor I have is a 1984 / 85 model.-----The 5" spacer was first used in 1980 models !!-----I know where some parts are but it is the " halfway around the world " is the issue.

Looking at the parts lists:

0397701 is common to my model the 6 and 8 hp of 1990.

The midsections are different numbers:

4hp 431967
8hp 431969

Blocks:

8hp 432104
4hp 398943

From the part number I'd guess they are different.

Piston:

4hp 432741
8hp 432803

Crank:

4hp 432627
8hp 334297

For the regular 4hp E4RLESR: block 433444, piston 432741 (same), crank 432626 (1 off!).

So my guess is it's got the 3-4 hp motor atop the 4.5-8 gearcase, assuming mine is the same as the model in the parts lists. So I'm wondering if the leg spacers from a 4.5 - 8 would fit.

324621 — SHIFT ROD, LONG. EXCEPT 8SRL MODEL (1 required per assembly)
324621 — SHIFT ROD, LONG. 5 INCH LONGER PARTS (1 required per assembly)

330435 — DRIVESHAFT, LONG. 5 INCH LONGER PARTS (1 required per assembly) (4hp)
334790 — DRIVESHAFT, LONG. 6SL ONLY EXCEPT 8SRL MODEL (1 required per assembly)
334254 — DRIVESHAFT. 8SRL ONLY (1 required per assembly)

I would need to confirm that these fit and how long and extension they give:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0396032
0396032 - Gearcase Extension $79

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0327492
0327492 - Shift Rod

Unfortunately the drive shaft is not available
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0334254&pass_title=0334254+:
0334254 :

Hi again.

I think I have found parts at a wrecker. Being a wrecker they are not cheap but I should be able to convert my motor to 25" leg.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a source for the 8.6x5.5 pin drive prop ?

There are a few retailers in the USA that list them new but they don't seem to ship here. I've been looking for second hand but no luck so far.

Any ideas most appreciated.

For anyone else who has this situation in future from what I have read the 4 deluxe looks like the 6-8 hp leg gearbox and cowling with the smaller 87cc 2 cylinder motor. The leg is the cast squarer one, the cowling has the sloping joint between the lid and bottom part and of course the gearbox is the larger one.

Johnson deluxe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRePRiu0zA&list=PLWPRybsJ2IEKjsh_4gwQaDDyPxKVWyucd

Evinrude deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PqVSY8PxUY

Evinrude standard 1990. Note different shaped engine cowl and round leg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZw-0E6xtU

These are the closest videos of teh std johnson that I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGv1m6e53dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPQ1cAcyHg

I hope this is useful for someone.

I found a new 8.6x5.5 prop at Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. I'm building a longshaft 6 (1976) for a fellow out in Virginia Beach. The Tim's prop he will need, bit I will see if they know of another one. I could get it to the Philippines cheaply, but our next box won't go out for another month. Then we could ship it from there to your place. I have friends in various parts of Australia we ship stuff to, primarily Mackay.

Thank you for the reply. Thank you for the offer.

They are around:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133831133326?epid=1238952499&hash=item1f28f5088e:g:MgQAAOSweZZhAG34

https://greenbayprop.com/0175092-175092-omc-pin-drive-prop-86-x-55-for-evinrude-johnson-4-8hp-175092

but they don't appear to ship here.

It would be much better if I could get the drive shift shafts and water tube and extension housing from one source and ship that all together. If I could get the prop aswell that would be perfect. It's hard to sort through wreckers from their internet pages. They all claim to have lots of stuff but I suspect most of them either don't have everything I'm after or will be really expensive.

Shipping stuff separately gets really expensive really quick. It's quite frustrating.

Yes I have. There is at least 1 johnson long leg who's parts might fit but that person wants an awful lot of money for non running motors and I'd have to ship it up here.

There is a 4.5 long in WA for $150. Shipping east might not be more than shipping from sydney.

There is a johnson 6 long that runs about an hours drive north of me on fb marketplace for $500. It runs and is in much better condition than that one in sydney.

All of the above are 20" legs. I can get the 25" parts for under $500. All these options don't get me the prop.

I was thinking that if I could find a wrecker in the USA who had all the parts they might be able to post them to me in one package. The situation is just annoying. I'd really like to know why anyone would go to all the trouble of shortening the shaft when sort legs are common. Why not just sell the motor and buy another ? Sigh.

Anyway thank you for the suggestions.

Me again. Sorry another question.

There is a plastic toggle that locks the motor in the down position. It would stop the leg rising in reverse.

The toggle can be turned 180 degrees. I assume in this position it should lock the motor in the tilted up position. It doesn't.

Can the motor be locked in the up position and if so how is this achieved ?

Is there a common problem with this I could investigate ? I've studied the parts diagrams but I can't see how it works.

Thank you in advance for any clues.

Hello. I think on your model it is held in tilt position by the spring and clutch on the tilt Bolt. You can increase tension, of course, by just tightening the tilt bolt nut.

evinrude 4hp clamp (2).jpgevinrude 4hp clamp (1).jpgevinrude 4hp clamp (3).jpg It is missing bits. The lever is missing from the shallow water bracket as are the springs. There are springs missing and other bits. Sigh another problem.

Thank you very much for the replies.

At least the lock down works so it won't float in reverse. It'd be great if I can find a 4.5 - 8 hp long of similar vintage an just pinch all the bits off it, extend the leg fix the clamp mechanism etc. Then get the prop.

Back