Logo

remote control for BF-8A - is it possible ?

JC D

Hi,

I have a BF-8A (#BACU-1400109) for my sailboat (25')

Is there a way to add a remote control to it ?

Thanks.

Hi,
I've never done it but if you can assemble all the parts you need it is certainly possible.

But I believe there are more ways than one to think about and go about doing something like this.

Being on a sailboat, you may just consider installing a throttle control only or, possibly throttle and shifting. That would keep the cost and complexity of doing this much lower.

If full control (electric start, shifting, steering, throttle and trim) is what you are after, then you may find that very expensive and difficult to do on your own.

In that case, you might actually be better off getting a replacement with those capabilities and selling or trading yours to help defray the cost.

Whichever way you go about it, a well thought out plan is going to make it much easier to accomplish.

Here's a link to boats.net It's a good place to reference, price and order parts for Hondas

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard/8hp/bf8ak0-la-vin-bzbc-2100001-to-bzbc-9999999

Good luck

P.S. note the remote control kit and the related parts you might need at the bottom of that page. Very pricey in my opinion.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 12.33.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 12.33.31 PM.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 14
I really do wish I could be of more help to you but as I said, I have never done this. I have a suspicion though that this "project" will likely throw a couple of curves at you and the parts that you have listed may not end up being everything you need.

For example, you list (×2?) for the shift cable so I'm assuming you're thinking of using one as a throttle control? That may or may not work. I don't know.

As far as what controller to use, that's a great question but I can't help there either.

As an old trailer sailor (San Juan 23 and others) I do know that I really wouldn't want my cockpit cluttered up with a big old bulky thing like Honda box I have on my pontoon. I would be looking for something more along the lines of a production sailboat model such as a Catalina or Ericson might have had. That would be less of a trip hazard and if there's a good chandelry near you it might be easy and cheap to find a good used one.

But those controls require good backside access and that might be tough on a small sailboat.

So, you see, I probably have more questions about doing this than you do.

I wish you success though and hope that you will grace us with your results.

No issue!

I appreciate all constructive advice and you certainly are giving me some nice food for thought.

I am in contact w/ Honda Marine and asked them too. I will see if they are answering.

The conversion kit is 70$ as a bundle, but it is overpriced (more than 200$) if bought part by part

You are right, controller must be as compact and sturdy as possible.

I have a few ideas and will ask Honda Marine for compatibility w/ the kit/cables - if I have a positive answer, I will look for a used one.
- https://www.boatid.com/seastar-solutions/side-mount-single-control-station-mpn-ch2100p.html
- ttps://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10025|10599|10177&product=65306965&code=45%2D095
- https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vetus-denouden-single-dual-function-lever-side-mount-engine-control-plastic-housing/sico

My boat is a Northern 25 MKII ("Dinette") - a really nice boat. I'm 6' tall / 200 pounds and I can fit in the storage lockers - I did get in this summer to reach the water tank. I hope this will be enough to access the back of the controller :)
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/northern-25

Still, one step at a time. I will first see if all the pieces can work together and if I can be found them at a decent price.

I will make a follow up - this is a nice forum and welcoming community, I cannot not do it ;)

Thanks again.

Nice boat!

I see it was originally equipped with a 7.5hp gas inboard. Not ideal but a great candidate for a small Beta diesel swap out. Does yours still have the engine and drive? Engine dead? If so, could you use the existing controls?

If not. I do like the looks of that SeaStar control in the link you sent. Very compact and tasteful looking if it works with the Honda. I found a photo of a Northern 25 with an outboard bracket on the stbd. side of the transom. That means that it might be like my San Juan with a quarter berth under the shallow stbd. cockpit locker. That might be a great place to mount the control.

You're probably going to be doing some surgery to get this done so measure MORE than twice before cutting or drilling!

I've always liked the skeg hung rudder for the protection it provides and, if you ever wanted to carreen to do maintenance or repairs it makes that something doable as opposed to a spade rudder.

But with a skeg hung rudder, you may find that you will miss the maneuverability of the tiller outboard in tight, crowded quarters.

Good luck.

Indeed! :)

If you still have the picture your are talking about and can share, I would love to see what it looks like and yes, SeaStar design looks nice.

Only the MKIII had an inboard motor but it did hurts sailing performance bad.
MKI and II had outboards only ("Dinette" design)
https://www.canadianyachting.ca/boat-reviews/79-sail/3569-northern-25

So mine (MKII) never had one by design.
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.17.52 AM.png

So my boat design is like the one below
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.34.02 AM.png

Funny you talked about skeg-hung rudders b/c I did make some repaires on mine this summer.
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.53.25 AM.png

I totally agree w/ you on the subject btw
https://www.marinescene.asia/in-praise-of-skeg-hung-rudders/13438

I have a decent experience in epoxy/fiberglass working (I've learned a lot while repairing my windsurf boards when younger in the 90s, and latter while removing and rebuilding large delaminated surfaces on a hull (17' sailboat). I feel confident w/ this kind of job & I already am full equipped to do so. In the end, the price and conversion feasibility will be the determinants: 250$ or less. I will also double check that the system can evolve if I have to change the outboard in a few years.
Obviously, remote control conversion is not something I am familiar with... I will take time to think this through.

You are right for the outboard tiller and I intent to make an extension of some sort on the outboard because the motor is really far from the transom.
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.54.34 AM.png

The photo is part of a Wikipedia article on the Northern 25. I'll see if it will attach here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_25#/media/File:Northern_25_sailboat_Whimsy_0931.jpg

So are all of the Mk ll outboard brackets owner installed? I can't actually tell from the picture of yours but it seems to be center mounted? That's much preferable to one side or the other. Although, my San Juan's is on the port side and it didn't seem to affect the stance of the boat too much even though, at about 3,000 lbs shallow draft, she is very crew weight sensitive. Then again...I had an old 6hp 2 stroke Chrysler Sailor that didn't weigh much. I absolutely hated the dang thing! It's what made me a MUCH better sailor when I took it off one day and stowed it below and learned to live without it! Only put it out once after that to get my friends pregnant wife back to the anchorage. It was a GLORIOUS night for sailing with about 10 knot breeze. Hadn't seen such excellent conditions at night fo months! But....she wasn't feeling well and had no concept about how I could get her back under sail almost twice as fast as the noisy, smoking, droning outboard. Wouldn't listen and was happy about the boat not heeling anymore. Oh well....whachugonnado? ;>)

I found the article from Kraken yachts to be in agreement with us on skeg hung rudders but found it a tad laughable that someone buying a new 50' or bigger sailboat would be too concerned about the cost of rudder config. Just sayin'.

Thanks, I see now.

As far as I know, on MKI&II, there is no standard location and most are homemade.

Mine is a little bit on the port side of the center of the transom.

I do not know why but I cannot add this picture so I will share it online.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp9u2081gds3vdf/brackets.png

No motor along the Coasts of the Gulf of St-Lawrence (Canadian East Coast) can be challenging because of some strong tides and also b/c our marina is in an estuary. I have seen a sailboat my size standing still with the throttle at max power - this happens for some when the wind, the tide and the estuary current are working together against your boat. The good side is that one can build some serious skills quite safely in those conditions.

I can understand why people not used to sailing, pregnant on top of that, may feel challenged with sail-only maneuvers. But 10 knots is a really nice gentle breeze and perfect to learn and experiment. A missed opportunity for your guests I suppose.

When the weather and water are clam enough, sculling/yulohing is efficient and pretty gorgeous to look at.
A project I started last year for my Siren 17 (rowing and sculling, no motor) in the hope to participate in the R2AK one day or create one between friends in East Canada.
https://youtu.be/dceYiJDQoNo

I am definitively planning to do this on.

"found it a tad laughable that someone buying a new 50' or bigger sailboat would be too concerned about the cost of rudder config"
I honestly can't tell what would be the diff in price between the two major types of skeg mounting, but security at sea and ease to repair/rebuild are my two main drivers when it comes to sailboat. And I do not buy brand new boats (I can imagine at 200k+, 5k would not make a big diff - but some will want wifi/5G over the
skeg-hung rudder I guess...

Ha Ha....that is definitely an aquired skill! But that giant oar and setup for sculling probably rivals the cost of your vintage Honda.:>) And...the Hondas are so quiet at low rpm I would gladly take the outboard over the contraption that needs a large berth when not in use.

It does look very "poetic" though.

YULCHING is a term I've never run across before so learned something new today.

Yes, one of the first things I had to learn about sailing into and out of San Diego Bay as a rookie boat owner was to consult my trusty tide tables and plan my movements to avoid sailing upwind against a flood tide.

I will never forget tacking across a narrow point of the harbor against a 15 kt. breeze one day about 8 times. On each tack, I would arrive at the exact same point I had left the the tack before! I ultimately decided that my center board had failed in some way and I returned downwind to my mooring, a brilliant sailing day ruined!

But what a valuable and freeing defeat! When I dove on the hull and found no problems with the keel or board, it slowly started dawning on my dull little gourd that it wasn't the boat so it had to be ME. From there I realized how harsh a tide can treat you and things like paying attention to wind shadows and terrain can have everything to do with impeding one's progress. Thanks to that experience I eventually developed a reliable strategy for transiting that particular spot, without motoring, in all but the most adverse conditions. Consulting the tide table and leaving on time can mean a lot. But short tacks to avoid wind shadow and improvement in sail trimming and rig tuning techniques were also things that the "slap in the face" made me pay attention to when I really hadn't before.

Being humbled is a good thing when you get a little too cocky.

Well, I have to admit that I was unaware of John Kretschmer.
But when I looked him up, it's easy to see what an accomplished sailor and author he is. He's made his living sailing and writing about sailing.
I do believe I will be reading his works very soon.
Thanks for the compliment and thank you more for enlightening me about him.

Back