Logo

4 blade vs. 3 Blade????

jrgrtx

Ok guys, need some help here. Not my boat, not my prop - let's set that straight up front. I have a cousin who is a first-time boat owner and has learned the hard lesson (several times now), that aluminum props and shell reefs don't mix..... I keep telling him he needs a SS prop and he just keeps saying "I know I know". So, with Christmas coming, I'd like to help him out. So here's the deal, he needs to get up on plane quicker. Right now he has a factory Merc 3 blade aluminum 14 pitch prop (10 3/8 dia). He's topping out his little Alweld at 30 mph (60 hp 4-stroke Merc). He's not interested in a lot of speed although he's afraid of losing a lot of speed. My question is what would you recommend for a prop to jump him up on plane to keep from digging down into the bottom but not lose a lot of top end?

An aluminum prop can be considered to be a FUSE for the gears, shaft and bearings.-----Much more risk of damaging those with a stainless prop.

Agreed, but the 3 blade does nothing for hole shot for him. Hit the throttle in shallow water and it sucks the boat down and grinds on the bottom. I have a 4 bladed SS on mine and can get up on top very quickly. Aluminum may be fine but he needs to get on top quicker with where he's fishing predominantly.

you can try adding vent holes to get the 'hole shot'....any decent prop shop can add them...if you want to experiment, Mercury used to sell a set of PVS plugs that allow easy adjustment of the 'hole size'...

Back