Logo

Prop moves out 1/4 " when placed in Reverse ?

1982 35 hp Evinrude : made the mistake in bringing my lower unit in for prop seals and shift rod o-ring replacement to someone who owns a shop because I have too many projects on the table now. When I installed lower it now wont fully go into gear in forward or reverse without jiggling the prop then it engages. Also now when you dor go to reverse the prop and shaft moves out about a quarter of inch. Aggravated as hell as this engine use to shift like butter. Any Ideas?? I'm now disassembling lower unit to see if I see anything obvious.

That sounds normal. If the motor is not running you will need to make it go into gear by moving the prop. How does it shift when it is running?

I didnt run it, once I saw gears were not engaging ( they always did previously) I removed lower unit to see what's up. Prop was always tight, now I can move it in and out and the entire hub moves out going into reverse.

Need help my dismantled gear case had 3 thrust washers total excluding the one at the prop. I have one on upper drive shaft pinion gear ( Diagram here shows 2 & bearing) and I found a large one that has a large center hole ( was laying in bottom of case when gears were removed) that does not fit anything in case well ( hole to big to much slop) with a beveled outside edge on one side. My question this diagram here shows thrust washers in either side of gears against dog which would stop dog from engaging. Is the diagram here correct has anyone done a 1982 35 hp gearbox? Can you tell me if thrust washer shown correct?
Much thanks to anyone that can help me.

??---Wrong those thrust washer on the propshaft do not prevent clutch dog from engaging.---And there are 2 thrust washers as part of the bearing above the pinion.-------The diagram is correct !!------Find a better mechanic too.

I started repairing motor many years ago.-----But today the motors are all different.----Parts and parts interchangeability is a nightmare.----Just keeping all the different sparkplugs on hand is hard.----Attitude of owners is totally different with the " I want it now " expectation.-----No wonder then that most small towns no longer have that grey haired repair guy !!

Racerone, I have question. Since my lower unit is not same color as rest of motor Im thinking they changed unit with possibly newer model, i looked at 1984 35 and they dont have thrust washers on either side of gears like 1982 model and also but dont have the large thrust washer in front of the rear bearing like mine had? This should be simple re-assembly but now not sure if mechanic lost washers or is this different year gear box. I tried researching the number on my lower unit but cant find anything to match?

Back