Logo

Johnson 8hp engine - help needed

Fuzzycuzzy

Hi All, first time boat owner and first time poster here on the forum.

I recently purchased a boat on a trailer and when I got there the seller said I could have this engine for free, she said it hasn't been used for about a year because her husband passed away but just before it was stored in the shed it was serviced by Yamaha service centre and was running fine.

I haven't been able to get the motor running, I've checked fuel is getting to the carbie and there is spark from the plugs. I don't want to go any further into taking it apart because I don't have a Maintenance Manual for it because I'm not certain of which one to purchase.

Sorry about so many words... Long story short I'm here to find some help properly identifying the engine and then which maintenance book is suited to it.

The model number on the engine is aj8bacde, AJ = Australian Johnson, 8 Horsepower, BA = Pull cord, C,DE = Not sure. (I think) I don't even know if it's a 2 or 4 stroke engine...

When searching aj8bacde on google, there are no results. I assume this model will have another number for other country codes and they might be better to search for.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
8hp-johnson-lid-off.jpg8hp-johnson-model-number.jpg8hp-johnson-wide-shot.jpg

Cheers,
Fuzzy

It is a 1988 model and a 2 stroke.-----Mix gas and oil at 50:1.----Install a new water pump impeller before you launch the boat.

Some will argue.----The discolored paint indicates to me that it overheated.-----Compression test is the first thing to do.---Post your numbers here !!

Compression 125 for both top and bottom.
Plugs are a little old, however they are sparking and should be good enough to get it going this time around and replace later, I live about 5 minutes round trip from an Automotive store which sells some outboard stuff.
I'm going to check on the water pump impeller to see it's current status, are the bolts to get the bottom off just the two right at the bottom next to the philips head screw?
8hp-johnson-bottom-cycl-compression.jpg8hp-johnson-top-cycl-compression.jpg8hp-johnson-plugs.jpg

Another question I have, is the tiller markings are all faded completely out. How far on should the throttle be turned when pulling this guy to start?

Cheers,
Fuzzy

There is one screw at the front to remove.----No shift rod to worry about.----Check the thermostat assembly.-----Quick question.-----What is the status of the 100' maxi ---WILD OATS XI----For the SIDNEY to HOBART race ?

Set twist grip for slight throttle opening.-----Find thermostat near top of cylinder head.----I do not see OATS XI on official entry list.

The thermostat has seen better days, this wouldn't prevent it from starting though would it?
8hp-johnson-thermostat-head.jpg8hp-johnson-thermostat-remains.jpg

Sorry I don't know anything more about the race.

Just spoke to a local boat mechanic and he said that the thermostat is there to make sure the motor doesn't run too cold and won't affect getting it running for a short period of time.
He also recommended to use carby starter spray to see if the fuel might just be gunked up in the carby for sitting for so long and potentially not drained properly.
It has made some engine sounds now, so it looks like I'll be taking apart the carby this afternoon see if I can give it a clean in petrol.

I will purchase a new thermostat before taking the boat out.

Really-------You must not run a motor dry like that.-----You will definitely need a new water pump impeller now !!

Don’t touch that Phillips head screw at the bottom!
I have a factory service manual,(PDF). PM me an addy, I’ll try to send it to you.

That's a bit of a no-no. Running without water at LEAST a few inches above the water pump. And here's the key.....that original water pump, if in good condition, is far better that a new one that's made of synthetic rubber and a plastic hub. Once you get a "new" impeller, then 5 years is max life....in most cases. Why in God's Green Earth can't they produce a real latex rubber impeller that will last 30, 40, 50, 60 years....like the old ones? Honestly, I tell you the truth....My personal 1954 Johnson 5 1/2 hp, has the ORIGINAL IMPELLER IN IT YET. It pumps water like it did brand new. Why have we used almost limitless knowledge and technology to intentionally build inferior products???

Last edited:
These motors need a new impeller every 5 years.----Simple as that.----It is the way of modern thinking.-----The folks that made good parts / built motors are pushing up daisies.------Corporations build / market motors these days.

Fuzzy- did that service manual make it to you?
It shows “sent”, but sometimes servers reject messages that are too big.
you should have got a link. If not I’ll see if wifey still has her Drop Box account, or find another way.

Back