Logo

Boat lifting Ideas for Trailer repair and bottom paint work

kirkll

Regular Contributor
I have a 1990 19' Bluewater glass boat with a V6 I/O that weighs about 3000#. First of all i need to do some trailer repair and maintenance. secondly i want to repaint the lower section of the hull while i have it off the trailer. I could moor the boat short term for the trailer work, but i thought why not kill two birds with one stone?

I need some ideas for how to lift this boat up safely, pull the trailer out from under it, and still be able to work on the hull. I have a boat shed that i built this year that will provide covered area to work on it, and could also provide a solid place to run some beams that would hold the weight both fore and aft. I have 4X4 posts set in concrete on either side that i can install a cross beam and support with additional posts on top of the concrete that span 12' a 4X12 should do the trick.

I believe i can jack the boat up high enough using a floor jack at the transom to get a strap under it. I'm afraid to try lifting it using the boat tiedown hooks on the stern. But lifting the front of the boat i haven't a clue how i'm going to do it safely.

Then after the boat is lifted and have pulled the trailer out, i do not want this thing just hanging on straps while i work on it if i can help it. Can a cradle be built to set this on? How do you guys do this?

Here are some photos of the boat and the boat shed i have to work in. Thanks, Kirk

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pcroLmd3nAFthFRr6

You pull boat back on the trailer about 18" or so.-------Lower the front of trailer.------Block up the back of the boat.------Raise front of trailer.------Set jack under the boat near the front.----Raise the boat.-----Move trailer forward as far as trailer allows.----Set boat down at the front.-----Reposition the jack.-----Move trailer some more.-----Took a 30' boat off the trailer that way by myself with not a single helper in sight anywhere.

I'm having a tough time picturing your maneuver here bro... I have a deep V hull on this thing and cant see how i could jack it up in front, or block it up in front either and still get the trailer out. Your idea would work well on the transom, but i just cant see how to support it up front with this V hull shape.

I was thinking of running a beam from post to post in my shed and using a heavy strap and a chain hoist. That way i could pull the trailer out easily, and get it back on the trailer when done.

Most of the weight is in the stern of the boat. Maybe i should just build a heavy frame that matches the trailer support rails out of 6X6 and 2X6 and set it down on that. i would only have a couple strips to paint with straps alone holding it after i have the rest of the hull painted. My only problem with this idea is that frame is going to be real heavy to slide under the boat. I suppose i could use the boat winch on the trailer to drag it forward from the stern.....

your thoughts on this? or anyone else have suggestions? Kirk

I took a 30' deep V ( Scarab Sport ) off the trailer by myself.-----No helper.----Nothing to it.-----Visit u-tube and search.-----One video looks like the way I did it 25 years ago !!!

Last edited:
Ayuh,..... You only need 2 stacks of blockin' under the transom, 'n a single stack under the keel,.....

Racerone explains the process quite clearly,..... just as I've done many times, from little tinnys to a 34' houseboat,.....

Back