Logo

Tohatsu MFS15C - is this the oilpan gasket? Oil dripping...

tohatsuTom

Hi Folks - this past weekend i noticed sheen in water after boat would come to stop and something slowly dripping from upper part of motor. Took the lower covers off when i got it home, sprayed some degreaser in the lower cowl and cleaned it up. This morning upon careful inspection i saw this weird rubbery material hanging down under the motor which looked like a gasket that was coming out? I have no idea how this would suddenly happen but there is oil around that gap now. If i spray degreaser from above at the bolt pictured in the second pic, i get degreaser/oil coming quite quickly from the gap so something doesn't seem right. Is this an important seal i.e. really sealing oil to engine or just a seal to keep crap from dripping out of the lower cowl?

If someone can please help that would be great. I suspect if this is the oil pan gasket, this is a super complex repair beyond my DIY skills :(

Could it be caulked?

seal leak 1.jpgseal leak 2.jpg

Hi Folks - this past weekend i noticed sheen in water after boat would come to stop and something slowly dripping from upper part of motor. Took the lower covers off when i got it home, sprayed some degreaser in the lower cowl and cleaned it up. This morning upon careful inspection i saw this weird rubbery material hanging down under the motor which looked like a gasket that was coming out? I have no idea how this would suddenly happen but there is oil around that gap now. If i spray degreaser from above at the bolt pictured in the second pic, i get degreaser/oil coming quite quickly from the gap so something doesn't seem right. Is this an important seal i.e. really sealing oil to engine or just a seal to keep crap from dripping out of the lower cowl?

If someone can please help that would be great. I suspect if this is the oil pan gasket, this is a super complex repair beyond my DIY skills :(

Could it be caulked?

View attachment 27950View attachment 27951
Spoke to my dealer and showed him pictures via email. He is pretty sure this is the basement seal - not as serious as oilgasket having gone but still thinks we should get it replaced.

makes sense b/c my oil level was fine all year and i didn't have to top up. So seems like basement seal? Dealer says we should replace as it helps isolate vibrations etc and obviously prevent stuff from dripping into the water. I'm most concerned with the dripping of gunk into the water

Back