Logo

1996 Mercury 225 outboard - engine dies in gear

K9Kenny

I have a 1996 Mercury 225, last couple of times out the engine shuts down when in gear, at the dock starts and runs fine, however when i leave the dock she will shut down. I have replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump, neutral start safety switch at the throttle or remote control. I am completely baffled as to what could be causing this.

Neutral safety switch has to do with cranking of starter motor.----Step #1 is a compression test.----Post your values here.

Neutral safety switch has to do with cranking of starter motor.----Step #1 is a compression test.----Post your values here.

So i did the compression test and found that the top port side cylinder was only reading 50 Psi, The rest of the cylinders were reading at 115 PSI, I know this is a problem. My question is How big of a problem and what needs to be don't to fix this? and or can it be fixed.

Borrow a bore scope and look inside the plug hole before you pull it apart.

Harbor Freight has them very reasonably priced. They come useful for lots of things. I used mine to help to find a ceiling leak in my house..besides the farm repair for which it was purchased. Additionally, I can peek inside the cylinders on my outboard when/if I need to.

Back