Logo

Heat Sink & Diode

Along with the other pair, they form a full wave bridge rectifier. In plain-speak, they convert the AC alternator output to DC for charging the battery.

Around 13.5 / 14 volts at a fast idle.----Model # of your motor ?------Those 2 diode parts are cheap.-----Might not hurt to have spares on hand.----Your location ?

You know the diodes are good because it obviously is charging. Besides, that type was very durable.

Voltage regulator: From the factory service manual: With the solid state regulator, there can be only two types of failure, under (no) charging or overcharging. Run motor at least 20 minutes to stabilize the regulator. Then with motor running 2000 RPM and all accessories off, check the voltage at the regulator red wire. If the voltage is in excess of 15 Volts, the regulator should be replaced.

Thanks for the info. If I find the regulator is bad what are your suggestions for a replacement?
I see some nos ones on Ebay and a CDI one like the one pictured.
CDI Regulator .jpeg

Thanks fdgator. I'll do some research on CDI Electronics. Maybe someone here can reply with their experiences with a CDI regulator.
I'll let you know what I find out.

The book is sort of confusing. In one place it says to check voltage at regulator. another place simply says "check battery voltage".

Attachments

• img151.jpg
    img151.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 14
You got me pondering on this one. Studying the system and how it works, the regulator is monitoring the voltage on the red wire as it is presented to the regulator input. Therefor, it should be measured at the regulator red wire, as instructed and shown in the picture. If it "sees" more than 15V at that location, it should cut back on alternator output. Measuring it anywhere else introduces the possibility of error due to other possible faults. Now to relax my brain awhile. Whew!

Back