Logo

2006 Yamaha 60 hp TDLC Priming Issue

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
This one has me stumped. The priming solenoid (top one at least) has 18 ohms resistance but doesn't click or apparently work. I jumped it direct from a 12 volt battery and...nothing, not the slightest spark. The accelerator pump assembly is dry even though the bulb is rock hard, so fuel is not getting to it. Is this being caused by bad prime solenoids?

The motor is hell to start without the acceleration pump system working. If this is a common problem, are bad prime solenoids the root cause?

Thanks,

Jeff

Correction: Make that an F60TLRC (four carb, 60 hp, 4 stroke)

Last edited:
That is not a solenoid. It is an electrothermal valve. The wires are to a heater. It makes nary a sound in operation.

With 18 ohms of resistance I would suspect that you might see a spark. But maybe not. Can you retest the device with an ammeter installed to verify current flow?

Generally a dirty carburetor(s) is the number one cause of a hard to start cold motor.

Not sure what you mean by the accelerator pump assembly is dry. Are you referring to the diaphragm? It does not see gasoline.

With respect to the accelerator pump system, is the diaphragm in good working condition? Does it force air to the carburetors when the throttle is opened quickly?

I believe these motors became fuel injected with the 2005 model. (could be wrong)
Yours could possibly be an older motor.
I have a 2004 that is carbureted and also hard to start cold.
I found the only thing that helps is to pump up the ball really hard, then open the throttle wide
once or twice before turning key.
After start up the motor runs perfect all day.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was totally out to lunch on what I thought was happening.

Gonna stick to Mercs from now on.

Jeff

Back