Logo

Should engine compression kill the deal

Jeric

Hi all,
I"m in the process of buying a used 2009 Larson 35' it has 5.7 volvo engines with 200 hours. The exhaust manifolds were never done and the port engine stopped running due to water in the engine. The owner took it to a repair place that I found and he is paying for a brand new engine. They did a compression test on the stb engine and all cylinders were between 125 and 130. When they took the manifolds off they saw slight corrosion on the cylinder heads and exhaust valves from the leaking manifold. This engine was running fine and the owner is not going for another new engine. Should I stay the course and buy the boat or walk. NADA puts the boat at between 122K and 148K . Our agreed selling price is 67K but the boat still needs another 20K to bring it back to where it should be.
Thanks for any input

The mere fact that you're asking says it all. I would first advise that you get a qualified marine surveyor to look it over. He or she will hand you a report that gives you an objective picture of the boat's condition and value. After that, you will go forward completely informed and better able to make a decision. Honestly the seller should provide this to you if they are on the up and up. From your description it seems like they just want to unload a boat with a lot of problems onto someone who thinks they are getting a hot deal. My spider sense says walk.

The mere fact that you're asking says it all. I would first advise that you get a qualified marine surveyor to look it over. He or she will hand you a report that gives you an objective picture of the boat's condition and value. After that, you will go forward completely informed and better able to make a decision. Honestly the seller should provide this to you if they are on the up and up. From your description it seems like they just want to unload a boat with a lot of problems onto someone who thinks they are getting a hot deal. My spider sense says walk.

Thanks for your thoughts
I did have the survey done and that's how I know about the other things wrong with the boat. After sleeping on it I think I'll use the money the owner was spending on new exhaust manifolds towards another new engine Its either now or down the road

If the engines were not maintained (faulty exhaust) what about the rest of the boat (outdrives and transom assemblies)? There is plenty of opportunity for financial ruin there. A 2009 boat not maintained may be past its expiration date.
Those are low compression #s they should be about 150 and that engine may need at least a valve job due to neglect.

I have yet to meet an owner of anything that planes, that is >33', with small blocks, that was "happy"......

When I buy used boats, I have some major criteria... ( above and beyond the usual condition issues)

1) Hull..... top tier quality manufacturers, no wood cored stringers...
2) Engines..... large enough to get good performance and in VG to like new conditions. ( Avoid Boat show specials,
i.e. marginally powered boats)...... If engines do not meet this criteria.... factor in buying brand new engines of the correct size.... If run in sea water.... FWC.

Last edited:
Back