Logo

1997 Johnson outboard 115hp broke off thermostat cover

rigby38

I had a water leak from the thermostat cover. I went to unscrew it and it sheered off. Any tips to get the rest of it out of the treads? There is nothing to grip so I can't turn it.

So a 60 degree V-4------The part is plastic.-----So a wee chisel or screwdriver and split it / work it out of there.----Part is not much money either to replace.

So a 60 degree V-4------The part is plastic.-----So a wee chisel or screwdriver and split it / work it out of there.----Part is not much money either to replace.

Thanks for the help. Looking in the forum and your reply I got it out in about 10 minutes. Heated the end of a screwdriver and melited a little section and pried it our then chisled it out to the threads. I was then able to melt another slot in it and actually unscrew the rest of it out as one piece.

My next question is the actual thermostat. I looked up what would replace it but pretty sure I got the wrong one.

I don't think there is even a thermostat in either side of the motor from the mods the previous owner made to it.

Here a some pics of the thermostat that didnt fit and what i found after I got the thermostat cover off.

Should this actually have a thermostat in it or can it be run the way it was? Only reason I took the thermostat cover off was because it was leaking onto a spark plug.

I'll upload images later when I figure out how to do it.

Yes they use thermostats.------Sometimes the parts on outboards are confusing to those looking at them for the first time.----Sorry.

thermostat opening.jpgThermostat actual whats inside.jpg
this is what was inside the thermostat cover. just a spring and the round thing with the two tabs sticking down. Is this what should be in there or was it modified?

They do look like parts from the original thermostat.----Hurry and consult your local dealer and order 2 new thermostat assembles.

Back