Logo

94 3.0 carb mixture adjustment

Ok so I've been chasing an idle issue on my 3.0 where it would idle ruff and cut off during docking also after running across the river it would idle at about 1000 rpm in gear but a blip of the throttle would bring the idling back down to 700 in gear but would not idle long before dying. So what I've done !!

rebuilt carb several times didn't fix the problem
adjusted the idle mixture screw again no help
so then I replaced the carb with a reman still didn't fix the problem
what I finally found was that the manifold riser was getting water in it do to a crack in the elbow which I assume was causing a lean condition from the water ..
after replacing the complete manifold and elbow the boat is running great but I have a question when adjusting the idle mixture its looking like its wanting to be about 3.5 to 4 turns out on the adjustment. The idle mixture screw is operating flawlessly and turning it in either direction has a dramatic effect on the idling so I know its working but does that many turns sound right.

Thanks Mark

With an original carb, I would think the screw is out a bit more than necessary...

With a rebuild, its hard to say without knowing the details of what the rebuilder did...if it behaves as you described, and the idle is steady after warmup, I wouldn't worry about it.

With a rebuild, its hard to say without knowing the details of what the rebuilder did...if it behaves as you described, and the idle is steady after warmup, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sorry I dont know why I stated that it was a remanufactured carb it is an new aftermarket carb. And as I said it does good just wasnt sure as to so many turns out...

Back