Logo

Honda PSH/CHKE/STP/PNL ASY 38000-ZW7-100AH ?

What do you want to know? It sounds like a switch plate with a push to choke ignition switch to me.

Yes, it definately sounds like it. I was just wondering what it is compatible (or not) with, for example my -99 BF50 ;)

That 38000 confuses me, it is nowhere to be found. But ZW7-100(110)AH sort of points to (37452-)ZW7-110AH​. Or am I missing something.

I don't even try to stay up with part numbers.....

If I were looking for a switch like that I'd likely go to ebay.

Honda panels are a nearly universal fit on the pre fuel injected motors. I KNOW they'll all work on pre injected 35-90hp Honda's....

Those are my playground/where I spend most of my time. Bigger and smaller than those I would have to be doing some homework as well....

I'm assuming you're running a binnacle/top mount shifter, and looking for an ign switch w/oil and emergency (red and green) lights?

A side mount control has everyhing you need all built right in. A MUCH easier install any way you look at it, and they work fine on consoles like that. MANY pontoon boats use that side mount setup on the RH side of the console.

Yes, and that is plan B if all else fails. But for now I want to make it pretty if I can get a (reasonably priced) switch plate assy.

This is what we started with
20190825_161202_copy_1600x1200.jpg

And this is now
IMG-20211007-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20211007-WA0006.jpg

Originally the idea was to make a CC from sheet aluminium, but my guy managed to source this modern console straight from the manufacturer. My old boat practically transforms to this
faster-495-cc-ym20-e-09_reference.jpg
Same make, "same model", 20 years between :)

Update: It's taken a while, but I finally got the boat to my yard. I got the engine running on the first try (after getting a new battery and fresh fuel) even though it had been sitting for two years. This was with the old control box.

ATM I don’t have the time to do all the cabling and new connections the the new console myself. So as a proof of concept I tried switching just the electric connections from the old control box to the switch assy and top mounted control box, leaving throttle cables to the old side box so I could still use the throttle lever.

This time the result was not so great, no huff or puff from the engine. I did get a click from the choke, green light for the oil, and the starter turned nicely, but no go. I tried disconnecting the emercency switch should it be faulty and shorted, but the result was the same.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Or is the idea of using old control box for throttling somehow faulty?

Neutral safety switch is first thought. There's one on the motor, and a second located in the side control. Clearly there is no neutral safety switch in that new arrangement, which may force you to get a little creative....

I can't find anything resembling neutral safety switch on the side control
http://https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hma/50955e8ef87002378814c1b5/remote-control

Wiring diagram doesn't recognise it either
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipgmyw8983dd8re/20220726_100203.jpg?dl=0

Black/white wire goes from the motor's neutral switch to the console's combination switch (key assy). As far as I understand the diagram, turning the starter requires combination of Bat/Load/St of which St is the Black/white wire. So the connection should be there even with the new assy because I can the the starter to turn. Or what am I missing here?

Here the wiring for the new assy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51cfjrtj04srzqj/20220711_134911 (1).jpg?dl=0

I don't have time to really get into this, but I did take a quick look at the wiring diagram. Any idea what a "throttle switch" is?

Hi,
Sorry to butt in but I lurk ;>)
Just wondering about the green oil lamp coming on. Is that with key on, engine stopped? Or is the lamp coming on while cranking?

What I'm getting at is that the lamp shouldn't light with the engine stopped right? So, that might be a clue to work off of.

I'll crawl back into my hole now but not before telling you that your boat looks very cool.

Good luck.

Hi,
Sorry to butt in but I lurk ;>)
Just wondering about the green oil lamp coming on. Is that with key on, engine stopped? Or is the lamp coming on while cranking?

What I'm getting at is that the lamp shouldn't light with the engine stopped right? So, that might be a clue to work off of.

I'll crawl back into my hole now but not before telling you that your boat looks very cool.

Good luck.

Geez, please don't feel like you're butting in. A lot of times it more about just coming up with ideas. Lurkers generally have plenty of those! -Al

I don't have time to really get into this, but I did take a quick look at the wiring diagram. Any idea what a "throttle switch" is?

It leads to trim control unit, so I believe its for trim alarm.

Update. I disconnected the kill switch from the engine side and got immediately one huff twice. I'm not sure how to describe the event: after that one huff the starter did not crank more even though the electric motor did still turn. At least that's how it sounded. I tried to replicate it again for a video, but no huff or puff anymore. I'll try another day again.

@jgmo. Please do butt in, I know Hondadude valued your insights. The green light comes on while cranking.

Btw. the old kill switch key is extremely tight, feeling almost too thick for the new panel. Could it be too thick and maybe have damaged a.ka. shorted the kill switch?

Last edited:
Success, I got it running!! Again on the first try with the old controls, then with the new switch panel while still using the old throttle lever. I think I may have flooded the engine last time, that's why it only coughed once.

But I had to disconnect the emergengy switch to make it run. The switch must be broken. Maybe the old emergency key is too thick and it broke the switch when inserting it in place.

I went to see the local Honda dealer. It seems my OEM Honda switch plate assy has an OMC kill switch assy ::D No wondwr the motor did not start. I just need to get an OMC key and we are in business

On a possibly unrelated note....

I just bought an old Cushman cart simply because of remembering having fun on one as a kid. The guy told me he couldn't get it to start and sold it to me very cheap. He would not let me work on it. "Just buy it and get it loaded up" he said.

...ok...

Got it home and after some head scratching at the sparks I was seeing when I turned the key... (I was thinking the automotive looking, belt driven alternator was shot)... my son-in-law discovered the brand new battery was connected backwards! Turned the battery around and....zhuh, zhuh, zhuh VAROOM! Started and runs great!

It was then I noticed it has an 18hp OMC engine.
The old girl needs a clutch I'm sure. Tiny, SYNCRONIZED three speed transmission!

I guess I am in for a few surprises yet before I turn it over to my grandson.

Cool story jgmo.

I did find an OMC emergency key in my junk box, and the assy works with it.

And now maybe a stupid guestion, but as I've never tried this. The OMC emergency kill assy does not have that traditional red "kill the engine" button. Is the same accomplished with turning the starting key from ON to OFF position?

Yes, on the Cushman, just turniing the key switch to "off" stops the engine. Just like my old Craftsman riding mower.
But I would still be ready to pull the primary coil wire off the first time I tried it ;>)

Good luck

Back