Logo

2006 Verado 150 Trim Motor - Excessive Corrosion

jstarzy

Hi all...thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have a 2006 BW 205 Conquest with a 2006 150 Mercury Verado. Great setup and the Verado has been terrific. Plenty of power and reasonable to maintain.

However, the original Mercury trim motor operated ok but started to corrode badly for the 3 years I owned the boat up until August of 2017. I was set to replace it with an Arco but the whole tilt-trim unit blew a seal that month and I replaced the whole assembly. Now, only 4 seasons later, the Mercury OEM trim motor from this assembly is corroding at an even faster rate. The boat stays in the Navesink River in Monmouth County NJ from may to October. I paint the motor to contain the corrosion. I replace all the anodes on the outboard every season. I do not leave the boat plugged into shore power.

View attachment 27922

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to limit the corrosion?

Why isn't Mercury using a plastic - composite motor like the competition?

Thanks...Jim.

Thanks Chris….I’ll look into the site that you’re referencing.

Also…I had a conversation with Mercury customer service on Friday. Though the rep was very attentive, no solutions were offered. However, I did learn that Mercury is now offering a complete tilt/trim assembly with a plastic motor housing for my 06 Verado. This indicates to me that perhaps trouble with the metal motor housing has been identified. Unfortunately, the plastic motor isn’t compatible with my metal motor, 4 year old assembly. I’m thinking about making a claim, regardless.

Jim.

Resurrecting this thread...I need to make a decision to replace the corroded trim motor, or not.

Does anyone know of a PLASTIC housing trim motor replacement for Verado 4 cylinder?
Trim Motor.jpg
Will an ARCO hold up better than the Merc original. Pic of 4 season old Merc Trim Motor attached.

Thanks Chris...I'm trying to minimize the hassle and frequency of these replacements. 4 years is way too soon but I don't believe Merc would make good on it. The next will be my 3rd trim motor on the Verado 150. Poor design in my opinion, validated by Merc moving to a plastic motor that won't fit the assembly I installed only 4 years ago.

Any more suggestions, anyone?

Thanks! Jim.

Back