Logo

Sound of air rushing into carb

Gibby1234

Hello. I installed a new carb on my 350 crusader engine a couple of months ago. It is working fine so far. Today I noticed that I can hear the air rushing through a bolt with a screen on the side of the carb next to the choke thermostat. See pic below. It is the bronze bolt just to the left of the choke thermostat. Air is audibly rushing through that part when in idle (and I assume while underway).

I noticed that on the other engine carb there is no audible sound on the similar part (original carb still on the other engine) but if I put my thumb on it it indeed creates a suction.

so my question…..is this just how the new carb works or is there something wrong with the new carb or how I installed it?

thanks

Attachments

• 868C4B0F-D670-4807-AE15-EFBD16CD727E.jpeg
    868C4B0F-D670-4807-AE15-EFBD16CD727E.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 34
Hello. I installed a new carb on my 350 crusader engine a couple of months ago. It is working fine so far. Today I noticed that I can hear the air rushing through a bolt with a screen on the side of the carb next to the choke thermostat. See pic below. It is the bronze bolt just to the left of the choke thermostat. Air is audibly rushing through that part when in idle (and I assume while underway).

I noticed that on the other engine carb there is no audible sound on the similar part (original carb still on the other engine) but if I put my thumb on it it indeed creates a suction.

so my question…..is this just how the new carb works or is there something wrong with the new carb or how I installed it?

thanks

figured out it is a fresh air choke intake, meant to prevent choke thermostat from overheating. Not sure why it makes the air rushing in noise where the other carb does not make the same noise. Maybe it doesn’t matter?

the air rush is indeed air entering and its purpose is as you stated....the other one likely needs the inlet cleaned since you have some air flow (vacuum connection is intact)...Holley has done it this way for a while now...

the air rush is indeed air entering and its purpose is as you stated....the other one likely needs the inlet cleaned since you have some air flow (vacuum connection is intact)...Holley has done it this way for a while now...

thank you makomark! You have been a great help to me over the past several months.

Back