Logo

65hp Evinrude shift issue

Micko1

Hi everyone, I have a 65hp Evinrude triumph 1973 that ive recently bought with a few faults which I working my way through, i'm having an issue with selecting gear, if I make adjustments to the shift cable and throttle lever I can get it into forward or reverse from the controls but not both, I can also engage forward and reverse manually with the cable disconnected ( needs slightly more force for reverse) so far I've replaced the shift cable, set the shift rod to 21-11/32" as recommend and changed the gear oil. It's like the travel on the cable is just that little bit short to engage the gear. Could a worn dog clutch possibly be the cause of this or is there anything more obvious I could check before contacting a professional ? I did notice a few filings on the magnet of the oil drain screw when changing the oil and the original oil did not look great either. I also noticed the bell crank hub where the shift cable connects to is not original and was altered at some stage but I've checked the measurement against a picture of an original one and they seem very similar. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The original 73 lower unit shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.----So how does the lower unit on there now shift to forward ?----I would not hesitate here to pull the lower unit apart for inspection.

The original 73 lower unit shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.----So how does the lower unit on there now shift to forward ?----I would not hesitate here to pull the lower unit apart for inspection.

At the moment forward on the control lifts the shift rod but I'll check tomorrow and verify the rotation of the prop when forward is selected.

It is shifting opposite to what the 1973 models did.----So it has a NEWER lower unit installed today.-----Need to revisit modifications made to linkages.

Back