Logo

2004 BF200 wire harness dead and is obolete

knotfancy

I have a 2004 200 that is new to me with about 400 hours. ran a few times this summer but then would not fire. Took to a tech and is determined that the main harness has a short and fuel pump not getting turn on signal. Looking all over google, this harness is obsolete and none available anywhere. Only option now according to tech is repower. only offer 500 for trade on current motor. Should the motor be worth more? Any other options about the harness? thanks in advance
DC

Are you talking about the main harness inside the engine cover, PN 32100-ZY2-010, or the harness from the engine to the console and key switch? Or do you know?

Normally, a short will occur in the latter, and it is rather easy to replace. You can order directly from Honda Marine.

The motor is likely worth far more than $500 if it was running well before the short - like ten times that much.

Even if there is a short in the main internal harness, you may be able to find a replacement if you search e-bay and/or contact Honda shops.

Check the fuse box and make sure that all the fuses are good. Don't just look at them, use an ohm tester on each one.

If push comes to shove, do a detailed inspection of the wiring, paying special attention to all connectors, making sure that the connecting pins are not corroded or broken. Pay very close attention to the big connectors going into the ECU. Look for any signs of external burns in the wire covers. As a final resort, get a complete wiring diagram and a good continuity tester and start testing wires.

That motor is very likely worth saving.

Wow! If I've ever heard of a RIP off scam, the one that "tech" is setting you up for is a DOOZY!

That dude will fix that harness (if that's what the problem is) and sell that outboard for THOUSANDS most likely. Nice work if you can grift it!

Chawk_man is 100% correct. And, if you can't do the work of tracking down where the loss of power to the fuel pump is, at least find another shop or mechanic to give you a second opinion
(Hopefully not this dude's cousin or bro-in-law).

Because....this one has a very bad odor!

Good luck.

IF it is this wiring, check connectors as Chawk mentioned. Fuel pump on the BF200 is only two wires, one to ground and the other to main relay. Follow the pump wires, check the ground for corrosion and follow the other wire to the main relay. Check for break or for chaffing and short. If it is not a contact but a wire itself you can buy waterproof splices for a few dollars. Not saying this is normally the way to go, but if a wire is damaged and cannot be replaced it is acceptable.

That is the wire harness PN issue is everywhere I look it is obsolete. I even called Honda and they told me there is not a replacement. He looked at the relay already and is getting a small voltage at the ECM. He contacted Honda engineer and confirmed the harness. Also the motor has so much corrosion from previous owners. I am thinking that I will keep the engine and try to sell it myself.

We are all assuming that you are talking about the internal harness - the one under the engine cover, and not the one that feeds up to the console. Is that correct?

Have you personally checked the fuses? If not, do so with an ohm meter. Should be no significant resistance across the connectors. Then, as Blacktimes advised - check the fuel pump wiring and the fuel pump itself. Briefly hit the wires to the fuel pump with 12 volts and listen for it to start up.

It is rather unusual for these harnesses to completely fail. A bad connector here and there, or a squashed wire that was incorrectly routed, but that is about it. They are easily repaired if you can pinpoint the problem.

How much corrosion are you talking about? Internal or just external?

Yes, the harness isn't available but it can easily be patched just as Blacktimes indicated. Perfectly legitimate and perfectly reliable when done properly. It's done all the time all around the world. No reason to give up on an outboard by any means.

The real problem is pinpointing where the failure is. And that's why you need a good tech to work with instead of a guy that wants to sell you a new outboard on the front end and clip you for the value of your trade in on the backside.

USED CAR DEALER MOVE 101!

If you want to sell it that's your business but I GUARANTEE that you can get WAY MORE than $500
And that should tell you that the guy you're dealing with is much about makin' the bucks and not so much about helping you at all. I wouldn't trust his diagnosis as a result.

Just sayin'

I recall 50 years ago at a Johnson dealer.-----We repaired every motor that came in.------Never even thought of trying to sell folks a new motor.-------But today motors are built with a mess of wires and electrical gadgets.-------Much more time consuming to repair.-----And parts availability is not the same as it was 50 years ago. !!!------Big corporate policy is different today too.

Back