Logo

2007 4.3 2-Barrel Carb "Turn-Key Start" Mercruiser dies after about 45 minutes of boating

dwhildreth

2007 Mercruiser 4.3 Turn-Key Start, 2 barrel carb with Alpha II drive.

The boat has around 300 hours and has been very well maintained, never had any problems until this year.
It has left us stranded 3 times now being towed in each time, here are the symptoms.

The boat will run great for about 45 minutes, then dies. Oil pressure and Engine Temp all good. We checked the carb and it's still getting gas, it still cranks over normally, just not firing or even backfiring.
This seems to be an electrical problem to me.

**(Two seasons ago, we did a complete tune-up with the following parts: Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Plug Wires, new ignition module inside the distributor, Water separator/gas filter.)

After our second time out and it dying, we changed out the Ignition Coil since the ignition module was changed out two seasons ago, but would be suspect to me first off, figured the coil is 14 years old, might as well try that since they can heat up and open up and are a cheap fix. Wasn't that, left us stranded the third time.

Another thing that might or might not be associated with this problem, but seems it could be. I've had to "time" the engine two or three times this season now, timing it with the correct wire grounded out to keep timing at base timing and locking down the distributor after timing @ 10 degrees BTDC. Then rechecking the timing to make sure the distributor didn't move while tightening down, it hadn't moved any of those times.

I'm suspecting the Ignition Control Module is crapping out in the distributor, but not sure if I'm missing something or not.

Re: 2007 4.3 2-Barrel Carb "Turn-Key Start" Mercruiser dies after about 45 minutes of boating

You need to do a spark test immediately when this happens. Have a spare spark plug with you and some heavy gloves.

Jeff

Re: 2007 4.3 2-Barrel Carb "Turn-Key Start" Mercruiser dies after about 45 minutes of boating

Two suspicions,

1. Is shift interruptor switch engaging?
If shift cables are moving after you are in gear under load in the water then that may be engaging switch and killing ignition.
The switch should be in middle of V notch on shift bracket when in nuetral.

2. Check main elec connector, big black plug, and see if there are any issues with pins/sockets,

Are you loosing power to dash when this occurs?
It does crank over but wont start right?

Thank you, no I have not done that yet. That would either tell me if it was possibly vapor lock or spark control from somewhere.

Thank you I will be checking that.
Not sure where the main connector is found to check. Will apply dielectric grease when found.

No power loss to dash, blower, etc, and yes it will crank over just fine.

It's like it has no spark or no fuel. Although there was gas available and squirted into the carb just fine after removing the spark arrestor to check.

Thanks, I haven't pulled a plug yet, neither checked for spark when this has happened. I'll be taking along my tool bucket and added instruments next time out for sure.

Thank you I will be checking that.
Not sure where the main connector is found to check. Will apply dielectric grease when found.

No power loss to dash, blower, etc, and yes it will crank over just fine.

It's like it has no spark or no fuel. Although there was gas available and squirted into the carb just fine after removing the spark arrestor to check.

The shift interrupter switch kills the ignition momentarily when shifting OUT of gear under load (in water).

If the switch is shorted internally (one of the switch leads is connected to ground) or the shift cable causes it to be activated when applying throttle (no shift cable movement should occur after shifting into gear) then this will KILL spark only. Engine will still crank and power will be at dash as you have said.

I am not saying this is your issue but needs to be checked out.

Follow the advice from Jack and the others. If it still stalls check below.

new ignition module inside the distributor,

Did you use a Merc. plug wires and module or "Chinese Sierra"? They can work fine until they get hot and then the circuit opens until it is back to cool temp. There is a circuit cooling spray used to chill an intermittent failing part. Spray it for 20-30 seconds and see if it will start. The Coil spark wire is notorious for the problem you are having.

Back