Logo

19556 Johnson 10 (QD-17) tune up question

shinola

Contributing Member
The last few times I've run the motor it has been a little less than perfect. I wanted to give her a good tune up. I expected I would be cleaning the carb and checking the ignition.

I tested the ignition with a spark tester, expecting to see the spark jump 3/8". Test showed it would jump 1/4", but not 5/16 or larger. So on the advice of folks on the board, I decided to clean and re-set the points. I wish at the time of disassembly, I had checked the gap, as that may be something that would help with my issue.

Once I pulled the points from the motor, I noticed that they had been filed a bit before and looked significantly rounded. One pair was also very black and charred. (also wish I had noticed which cylinder that was at the time, but did not).

So I decided to replace, I had a set of OEM points from a tune up kit already in hand.

After installation, I put the cam in and attempted to set the gap. The max gap I can get is 0.008" on one side, and a little less on the other.

Has anyone come across this before? I double and triple checked the installation. I think I did it right, checked it against other motors.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Brian

Could be the points. I had a bad tune up kit awhile back that was new factory. I was told tojust open up the adjustment slot but ended up using a old used set I had saved.

You tighten the screw for the points.------Then adjust point gap with the little cam screw.----Is that your procedure ?

In my case the adjustment of the cam screw wouldn't allow enough adjustment of the points. I could have filed the opening of the cam adjustment screw slot a bit but just went with a old set and will mess with the new points when and if I need them for another motor

I snugged the screw, then aligned the cam peak with the cam follower on the point, then tried to open the gap with the cam screw. I did not have the root screw torqued tightly. I have a new set on the way to test again.

New points were bad. The original post was regarding an OEM tune up kit I bought from this site. I bought a Sierra kit, received it tonight and installed and set the points no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Back