Logo

Nissan NSF6BS BURNING OIL

Shaddaddy4

I have a 6hp 4 stroke as mentioned in the title that is burning oil at and excessive rate. The motor runs but has to be refilled with oil often. Last time I ran it I refilled it 2 times with maybe 30 mins of use. Any suggestions on my problem?

Is it burning or leaking? Is the oil at the correct height between hash marks on the dipstick? If really burning, only possibilities are valve guides or rings. Did this just start, or has it been an issue for a long time? I have never had a 4/5/6 that used oil.

Paul,
it is definitely burning some oil. Could also be leaking. Not sure where it would be leaking. When I purchased this motor it was not running and one of the problems with it was burning oil. White smoke coming from the exhaust. The oil is filled to the correct level.

Check your service manual. Of course you open the throttle when testing. There is a decompressor, so anything around 50 psi is probably OK. I would decarbon the motor, too.

Your gauge is good.-----Compression is excellent.-----I would say it is not the rings.-----Likely a leaking seal !

Test run ( at idle ) in a 45 gallon drum.-----Should be able to run for an hour without fear of water in barrel getting too warm.----See if oil collects on the surface.

There would be a seal whenever a shaft goes through a housing.------Crankshaft for example.-----Called an ----oil seal ----And not a simple fix !!

Back