Logo

4.3 MPI Winterize- Yes Another One

77vetter

I have 2007 Sea Ray with 4.3 MPI with single point drain. I am getting ready to winterize and have watched a ton of youtube videos and reads dozens of forum posts and now I am completely confused.

All the videos show starting engine and getting up to running temp, use the single point drain to drain water. Switch to antifreeze tank and start engine again and pumping antifreeze till it comes out lower unit. All nice videos showing step by step

The forums all talk about not relying on Single Point drain, but disconnection outlet hoses and draining/clearing out to make sure there is no blockage. They say you don't need anti-freeze but is an option. None of the forums show which hoses they are referring to and no pictures or videos to guide you.

Can someone post some pictures/videos showing the method they are describing in the posts? I have attached pictures of my engine for reference if that helps?

PXL_20211008_191242890.jpgPXL_20211008_191216891.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_191143594.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_191216891.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211008_191216891.MP.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 26
Dont know if there are videos this page will show a single point drain cooling system http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...d-cooling-system-single-and-three-point-drain

you can type your serial number in the parts part (click on parts in upper LH corner of this page)
With a multi point drain you can see how much comes out of each drain, and that they are clear, single point they all drain through smaller hoses to the single point.if sand and silt gets in there can cause a part not to-get drained.

in the linked parts diagram -

#17 these two hoses drain both sides of the block half way down each oil pan rail. These would be my two biggest concerns the detail drawing in lower left shows how each side will be 29 screws into the block , #18 is a quick disconnect that you can press and pull off 29, put a stiff wire in to see if anything comes out after draining

#4drains the U hose make sure its clear

#15& 16 drain the exhaust manifolds id pull the hoses off.

you can add AF if you like , personally i just drain it and take off the feedwater hose from drive , use a gallon of AF to drain some back through drive and steering cooler and block drains incase there is water in sand inside block.

i have a 2004 sea ray 200 sport ; ot sure what model you have but yours looks pretty similar access wise. the five plugs take me about 10 minutes to pull and you see exactly what drains from each, so not sure the single point drain is worth anything except the sales brochure.

if you have a cool fuel unit you may want to lull one fo the hoses off it as the water from the drive comes through it.

Dont know if there are videos this page will show a single point drain cooling system http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...d-cooling-system-single-and-three-point-drain

you can type your serial number in the parts part (click on parts in upper LH corner of this page)
With a multi point drain you can see how much comes out of each drain, and that they are clear, single point they all drain through smaller hoses to the single point.if sand and silt gets in there can cause a part not to-get drained.

#17 these two hoses drain both sides of the block half way down each oil pan rail. These would be my two biggest concerns the detail drawing in lower left shows how each side will be 29 screws into the block , #18 is a quick disconnect that you can press and pull off 29, put a stiff wire in to see if anything comes out after draining

you can add AF if you like , personally i just drain it and take off the feedwater hose from drive , use a gallon of AF to drain some back through drive and steering cooler and block drains incase there is water in sand inside block.

i have a 2004 sea ray 200 sport ; ot sure what model you have but yours looks pretty similar access wise. the five plugs take me about 10 minutes to pull and you see exactly what drains from each, so not sure the single point drain is worth anything except the sales brochure.

if you have a cool fuel unit you may want to lull one fo the hoses off it as the water from the drive comes through it.

thanks for the reply, so you have a multi point drain system? I only have two blue plugs, one on the thermostat and the other at the bottom of the drain housing unit where the rubber hose is that drains the single point.

It just seems odd all the videos never mention anything about checking the outlet hose connections for blockage. I never run in sandy or "dirty" water so I doubt there is any blockage but I get there could be rust etc. so I want to be sure. I am also a visual person so having a video showing the steps would be awesome!

So for the #17hoses, you are saying the lower left inset diagram shows how #17 hose is connect to the block and you can press the quick disconnect there to remove the hose and then stick a wire/brush there to make sure there is no blockage?

So for #15 & 16 drain the exhaust manifolds I believe I located them from the image below circled in red, this should be 16? If thats correct then I know 15 as well. I was able to find both 17 and the quick disconnect. If all this is true, I will try and get it done tomorrow!
Merc2.1.JPG

So for #15 & 16 drain the exhaust manifolds I believe I located them from the image below circled in red, this should be 16? If thats correct then I know 15 as well. I was able to find both 17 and the quick disconnect. If all this is true, I will try and get it done tomorrow!
View attachment 27886
That looks correct. Yes i have a 5 point drain. Would be interested to see if you have any debris in there.

Thanks for the confirmation! I will be doing the process today after work and will let you know how it goes and if there was any blockage/debris :eek:

That looks correct. Yes i have a 5 point drain. Would be interested to see if you have any debris in there.

Just finished up draining the system. Ran the boat up to running temp, used the single point drain system let it drain till it stopped dripping. Then I removed both #17 hoses via the quickDisconnect and probed with a wire and nothing more came out. Removed #15 and 16 hoses and probed them as well an nothing more came out as well. That's a good thing right?

One final question, do I need to pour anti-freeze down any of the hoses and if so which one(s)?

Just finished up draining the system. Ran the boat up to running temp, used the single point drain system let it drain till it stopped dripping. Then I removed both #17 hoses via the quickDisconnect and probed with a wire and nothing more came out. Removed #15 and 16 hoses and probed them as well an nothing more came out as well. That's a good thing right?

One final question, do I need to pour anti-freeze down any of the hoses and if so which one(s)?

Yes thats good it means the single point drain is working as intended.

Do you need to pour AF in, no air doesnt freeze. Its personal prefernce, some completely fill with AF to limit corrosion, I just back flush a little to ensure all is drained. take the hoses off the thermostat housing and pour a little in if you like , same with two hoses at the T above the plastic drain ball - this is where water feeds the exhaust elbows . Again if it is fully drained no need.

And as discussed previously replace the blue plugs every other year or so (heat deteriorates the plastic) and grease up the threads. Personally,I call the thermostat blue plug the vent. I have a 3-point drain system plus a vent.

Back