Logo

Crusader raw water cooled getting water to thermostat housing but not to manifold intake

Scott Hall

Have a 1984 crusader CH220 305 engine RWCooled. I get water flow to thermostat housing but not coming out of hoses leading to exhaust manifolds. If I am correct the water flows from raw water pump thru trans cooler to thermostat housing thru pressure relief valve and into hoses to manifolds. If I disconnect manifold hose from thermostat housing and spray garden hose the water comes out exhaust. It seems like at idle I get lots of water flow to thermostat housing but the pressure relief valve seems a little hard to push. Not sure if pressure relief valve is bad or if impeller not putting out enough pressure though water volume seems good. Maybe water does not even flow thru pressure relief valve but sure seems like only path according to diagrams-Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
that would be a good place to start...maybe consider a major kit if you don't have any idea when it was last overhauled...

Another option is to measure the flow rate the pump produces now...inadequate flow from the pump = cooling problems...

Back