Logo

2004 Bf50 Fuel mixed in Oil

mftizgerald

Hey all, so I have a 04 bf50 that's been very reliable. Was out Today on a trip couple miles out, was cruising around 3000 rpm when it suddenly dropped to 2200ish, then would rev back up slowly to 3000, then drop back down. It kept doing this, as if it was starved of fuel. It did shut off a couple times, but I managed to limp back in. When I got home I pulled the dipstick, and oil came shooting out like a foutain with a very gassy smell to it. I've read up on here that it could be the Fuel pump, so I unbolted it, and took it out and primed the bulb a few times but did not see any dripping or leaks from it at all. The shop I go to can't get me in until 2 weeks, and I have $1500 worth of crab gear soaking supposed to be picked up in a week. Any ideas what the issue could be, or things to check?

The pump is just one potential source for "fuel in gas" syndrome. The other is at least one flooding carb pouring gas in to a cylinder.

USUALLY, the the carb problem will tip it's hat in the form of a crappy running motor, especially on idle, and possibly fuel running everywhere under the cowl.
The leaking/blown fuel diaphragm is much harder to detect as the only leak goes right in to the head and from there the crankcase. Fuel pumps are not re-buildable, they must be replaced.

Clearly you're going to need to get that oil out of there ASAP, before running the motor again. I'd start there, and with a new filter. Have a look under the cowl with the motor running to see if any of the carbs are dripping fuel. Just squeezing the primer bulb may show the issue as well, without running the motor. Flooding carb would be the more common problem hereby by far, generally caused by letting the motor sit for a period of time with no fuel conditioner in it......

Thanks for the advice! I practically use the motor 5 days a week, and only put in non ethanol. But I know how small these carb jets are, I will take apart the carbs, and clean them

You might also want to make sure that the crankcase vent isn't restricted in some way. That too could be a reason for the fumes and pressure to build up in the oil sump.

I don't work on these but I believe that there is a filter screen inside the valve cover located at the port where the tube (item 9 in link below) from the muffler cover connects.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/50hp/bf50a4-lrta-2004/muffler-cover

The breather port is near the "H" in Honda stamped on the valve cover. Follow line from
E-14-30 page reference in link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/50hp/bf50a4-lrta-2004/cylinder-head

Good luck.

Back