Logo

Strange fuel issue, priming Bulb was crunchy

Roland J

First trip in a long time to the lake week before last. Stayed there for a few days.

My 1995 115 merc (oil injected) was having issues going above 3300 RPM. On the last day after I checked coils, it was ok up to 4000rpm. above those RPMs It was sounding very rough kind of a knocking-ish sound or a sputtering sound. I checked the coils tested good, but it seemed more like a fuel issue. below those RPMs it ran good and started good.

Got home and yesterday (6 days since i was out on the boat) pulled my inline big water separator out to swap out with one that has a clear bowl on the bottom. As i did that i noticed the connection plug was not firmly connected. So I assuming that could have been the problem. (carbs not getting enough fuel...)

So here's where it get strange.

I went to prime the new inline filter and started squeezing the priming bulb. The bulb was crunchy like the inside of the bulb was coated with rockcandy or a eggshell was in the bulb????
I watched the clear bowl fill and the fuel that looked very cloudy, then cleared as I continued to squeeze and filled the filter. It totally caught me off guard as i continued to squeeze the bulb breaking the crusty feeling stuff inside of it away. Last 2 fill ups was unleaded gas with 10% form our Raceway stations

So now I'm thinking i should wait a few more days to see if the bulb becomes crunchy just to verify that really happened. Also im thinking i should empty the gas tank (10-15 gallons in it and I'm not sure how to despots of that?) and hope its not screwing up my carbs.
Maybe i should just add a gas additive

I've never heard of this crunchy coating thing, and I'm puzzled as to what to do? Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
My having had the problem on 2 engines, you also need to change your engine mounted fuel filter and since I assume this is a 2+2 like my 115, the small filter (in the 3 and 4 cylinder fuel feed line....hiding behind the rear of the oil tank), about an inch or so long. Cut them open and especially on the large primary filter, expect to find the same tan crunchy material. While the fuel line is open there at the filter's inlet, and with a new bulb/ fuel line that Faztbullet mentioned, get a suitable container and pump the bulb to clean out any remaining residue in the fuel lines. If like mine, you may encounter improved performance at the higher RPMs with full fuel flow.

My having had the problem on 2 engines, you also need to change your engine mounted fuel filter and since I assume this is a 2+2 like my 115, the small filter (in the 3 and 4 cylinder fuel feed line....hiding behind the rear of the oil tank), about an inch or so long. Cut them open and especially on the large primary filter, expect to find the same tan crunchy material. While the fuel line is open there at the filter's inlet, and with a new bulb/ fuel line that Faztbullet mentioned, get a suitable container and pump the bulb to clean out any remaining residue in the fuel lines. If like mine, you may encounter improved performance at the higher RPMs with full fuel flow.

Thanks, yes it's a 2+2. I did not no about that 2nd engine mounted filter.

The previous owner did tell me he change the fuel line without me even asking, and it does look newish. Maybe he used the wrong type. I will investigate this.

I did replace the bulb with a cheap bulb a year ago. So I'm wondering if it could have just been the cheap bulb chem reaction thing?

Anyway I will be squeezing it again tomorrow. And see if it does it again.

Thanks for the suggestion guys

Back