Logo

Ethanol Fuel

Bob in Tennessee

Contributing Member
I posted earlier about my 1977 50hp engine being hard to start. Spark good....compression 120 on all cylinders. I have been using an unleaded with 10% ethanol for years. I do not have a convienent source for non-ethanol between me and my fishing holes. I have a friend with a 1973 Evinrude that tells me that since he started using ethanol free fuel his engine has been running better than ever and starts right up.
Your thought?
thanks

I posted earlier about my 1977 50hp engine being hard to start. Spark good....compression 120 on all cylinders. I have been using an unleaded with 10% ethanol for years. I do not have a convienent source for non-ethanol between me and my fishing holes. I have a friend with a 1973 Evinrude that tells me that since he started using ethanol free fuel his engine has been running better than ever and starts right up.
Your thought?
thanks
I don't think it makes a big difference. Check your fuel lines make sure everything is clean. If your Motor is a Merc those have always tended to be more cold blooded than the OMC motors.

I would install an OMC / BRP electric primer valve.----An easy upgrade in my opinion.-----Makes for near instant starts !

If you have an engine mounted fuel filter, replace it and cut open the old one. If full of crud, using your bulb, flush out the fuel line while you have it open. On a different engine than yours I found that premium fuel starts easier.......the 87 octane recommended is a "minimum octane requirement".....just gets you by......well sir, if octane didn't matter, why does the supporting literature post a minimum in the first place?????

Also, like Racerone mentioned, I installed an electric fuel pump between the tank and engine and starts are much faster and it pumps up the bulb nice and hard and keeps it hard, unlike the manual OEM bulb where you have to pump it to start, and pump it more while trying to start as the engine consumes fuel in an attempt to start.

thanks guys!!!

i will find an electric pump and get this thing started! Also Premium Fuel. Dont think i have an engine mounted fuel filter but I will ck.

I have found the pumps on line but my question is do i install between tank and bulb or between bulb and engine?
thanks
Do not put an electric fuel pump on your motor. It hasn't needed one for 40 yrs sure as hell doesn't need one now. They are dangerous and unescery on outboards. If you have portable tanks you do not need the extra filter between the tanks and motor. To fix you starting issue do what racerone said.

Last edited:
Do not put an electric fuel pump on your motor. It hasn't needed one for 40 yrs sure as hell doesn't need one now. They are dangerous and unescery on outboards. If you have portable tanks you do not need the extra filter between the tanks and motor. To fix you starting issue do what racerone said.

Well I had my boat out again yesterday....fabulous performance. Want a 2+2 to really rock in the hole shot, add an electric fuel pump.......... Pump power is only available with the key switch in ON or START........when the engine is consuming fuel for the most part. My installation is where I can easily monitor it so I'm not worried about it being unsafe. I have a 10 amp fuse (only uses 3) easily accessible and is right there at the pump. If I chose to not use it all I have to do is to pull the fuse.....fuel will flow right through it with it off.

I was bouncing on empty when I finished the outing so I decided to drain the tank, a 2002 yearmodel boat that I bought a couple of years ago, not knowing just what the PO had in the tank. Was easy...just disconnected the fuel line at the engine, stuck the hose in a gas can, turned the key switch to ON and let her pump the tank dry. Gas was clean and no water was in my separator. In went fresh fuel and I am ready for winter.

Last edited:
Well I had my boat out again yesterday....fabulous performance. Want a 2+2 to really rock in the hole shot, add an electric fuel pump.......... Pump power is only available with the key switch in ON or START........when the engine is consuming fuel for the most part. My installation is where I can easily monitor it so I'm not worried about it being unsafe. I have a 10 amp fuse (only uses 3) easily accessible and is right there at the pump. If I chose to not use it all I have to do is to pull the fuse.....fuel will flow right through it with it off.

I was bouncing on empty when I finished the outing so I decided to drain the tank, a 2002 yearmodel boat that I bought a couple of years ago, not knowing just what the PO had in the tank. Was easy...just disconnected the fuel line at the engine, stuck the hose in a gas can, turned the key switch to ON and let her pump the tank dry. Gas was clean and no water was in my separator. In went fresh fuel and I am ready for winter.
In the 10 yrs I owned my 125 2+2 ,I never needed to add fuel pumps or trim it to make it idle correctly. I have no idea what you did to yours. But maybe since you are the ONLY one adding this stuff to your motor should make you think.

Back