Logo

1999 BF50A Starter & Tilt Problems

msoboatdude99

Hello!

I recently purchased a well-used 1999 BF50AXLRTA.

Problem #1 - tilt:
I connected the battery and the tilt worked from the buttons on the engine cover. I connected the remote controller and the tilt would not work. It still worked from the engine cover.

I then looked at the large wiring harness connector and compared colors. They match, which is good. Unfortunately, the connectors between the controls and the main harness do not match. I assume this is because I bought the wrong harness or the harness is meant for a much newer controller.

I re-configured the pins at the main plug to make sure the colors at the controller made it to the correct colors at the engine. Or so I thought.

I plugged everything back in. I pressed the tilt button and the battery sparked at the negative terminal. I unplugged everything. With just the battery connected (no controller) the tilt button on the engine no longer works. At first there was a sad sort of buzzing sound and eventually the button just did nothing.

Problem #2 - starter/ignition:
After re-configuring the wiring harness, I verified that power is making it to the correct wires at the engine (or so I think).

With the key in the ON position, there is no voltage at the coils. Turning the key to start does nothing. No clicks, noise, anything. I verified the ignition constant voltage and start signal makes it to the correct wires at the wiring panel on the side of the outboard.

I verified the outboard is in neutral and that the neutral switch is working.

I did not attempt to jump the starter solenoid as I was warned by someone that I could potentially fry something. I'm used to working on older outboards.

One thing I noticed is that the battery read 12.43v and the positive on the starter solenoid read 11.5v. Not sure what to make of that.

Questions:
1. Any ideas about the tilt? Did I fry something? Does anyone have part numbers for the tilt module if so?
2. Is it safe to jump the starter solenoid to perform a compression test?
3. Any ideas why the coils have no voltage with the ignition on?
4. Why would the voltage drop at the starter solenoid positive post?

Unfortunately I live an hour away from the project and won't be able to re-visit it for a couple weeks, so I appreciate any and all speculation you can provide.

I can share that older tilt switches that aren't used regularly often go bad. Not much you can do but to replace them.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the power to the coils until you have the motor turning over correctly.

The voltage drop is most likely due to corrosion or loose wiring. It sounds like you are past due for some maintenance work.....

When you start "re-configuring" pins in an electrical connection or getting creative mixing and matching harnesses, I'm afraid you are on your own when it comes to troubleshooting. The only thing that might be helpful is the wiring diagram in the back of the easy to find online OWNERS manual.

I did just recently share a lot of how that tilt system is supposed to work with another fellow here:

https://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?471285-power-tilt-problem

You may find that helpful when trying to figure out what you have going on. -Al

Back