Logo

2000 HPDI 150. Stalls out anything above idle.

Keelhauled

Just picked up a boat that has a 2000 HPDI 150.
When you first start it cold it will stall out almost immediately. each time you start it after that to runs a little longer. By the 5th time or so it will idle without issue, but if you bring it off idle it will just shut right off. I'm picking up the boat tonight and just looking for some preliminary info and things to look for, i.e. common problems/issues. The previous owner had done compression and all cylinders were in the 110 range ( I will be verifying those numbers myself once i get it home). engine has 289 hours on it

So, did you verify the compression numbers?

First thing to do is change the spark plugs and the $$Fuel filter between the VST and the High pressure pump. In your video I can see the oetiker clamp on the filter is still in place, get the 15.# number off the clamp before you cut it so you know which size clamp to replace it with.

And check the low pressure pumps.

When an HPDI runs crappy at idle, Changing the plugs will cure it 90% of the time.

So, did you verify the compression numbers? YES 110 across all cylinders

First thing to do is change the spark plugs PREVIOUS OWNER DID THAT and the $$Fuel filter between the VST and the High pressure pump. In your video I can see the oetiker clamp on the filter is still in place, get the 15.# number off the clamp before you cut it so you know which size clamp to replace it with.
WILL LOOK INTO REPLACING FUEL FILTER
And check the low pressure pumps. LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PRESSURE IS 50PSI WHILE RUNNING

When an HPDI runs crappy at idle, Changing the plugs will cure it 90% of the time.

I did get YDS software and cable and checked high pressure fuel pressure and its reading around 690- 720 psi depending on the situation.
i also found out that it only stalls out when you give it throttle while in neutral. if you give it throttle while in gear it will rev up but its not a smooth rev, more like nothin at all then suddenly jumps to high rpms.
ive also went ahead and cleaned out the o2 sensor with looks to have never been cleaned in the 289 hours this engine has on it....

Back