Logo

95 Carver Mariner 330

cooperlogan

Having trouble with starboard engine keeps cutting out after after 2600 RPM When trying to plane off
I have changed all filters and switched gas tanks and still same problem
Also I have switched carburetors With the port engine
Has anyone had this problem
I have a delco EST distributor
I have not changed the fuel pump
Anybody know if the distributor could be causing my problem

Having trouble with starboard engine keeps cutting out after after 2600 RPM When trying to plane off
I have changed all filters and switched gas tanks and still same problem
Also I have switched carburetors With the port engine
Has anyone had this problem
I have a delco EST distributor
I have not changed the fuel pump
Anybody know if the distributor could be causing my problem

does it shutdown like you turned off the key or stumble and stall? Does it immediately start back up?

If yes to both, I had the exact same issue on a friend boat and it was the ignition module. If it’s a “hard” on/off that is more likely electrical than fuel. Normally fuel issues will give you some indicator (stumbling/surging) before a stall.

Bob

thanks Bob
I did change the module with new but not a marine one and still same problem and yes it's like turning the key off for a second And then it comes back on
I changed the fuel pump today just because I had another 1 no 1 So after changing the fuel pump the boat rang great for little more than one hour
Then start it cutting off again
So the conclusion today is that it had to get hot Before it started cutting off
So as of now I have switched carburetors coils And change the fuel pump And switched gas tanks
Though in summary it'll stall after getting hot and at RP m's hiring m's higher than 25 00 to 3000
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
Anyone have a problem with the destroyer pick up
Also I have not swapped Marjorie modules but I did put a brand new one in both and but was not a marine 1

could also be the pickup coil inside of the distributor....they are usually pretty reliable but have finite service lifetimes...

This is another example of where some effort troubleshooting (like verifying no spark when the engine dies after some running time) will keep you from going crazy.

On the non-marine module....unless you can verify what timing curve is built into the module, you would be better off switching it out for a real delco part...some of the aftermarket makers don't pay a lot of attention to their low level component's quality....

thanks Makomark.....I appreciate the great feedback ....any idea how to check the spark when underway on plane since that's when it happens
I am buying marine module just to be sure
could the pick fail at high rpms

i prefer a clip on (inductive) timing light as the quick check for spark....i know a couple of folks that use spark testers (inline types)...

The pickup coils are known for intermittent failures...

Yes, you can clip it to the coil wire...or any high tension wire....as long as the cap and wires are in good shape....you want to verify that spark is/isn't occurring at specific points in time...

fuel pressure is good to know, especially under load...if you have fuel delivery problems, a vacuum gauge on the suction side can help sometimes...

I have changed the pick up coil and module in the distributor And still having intermittent spark Is it possible for the distributor Magnet can fail because because it usually loses spark at higher RP m's only

if the little wires on the connectors inside the distributor are ok, it could be the coil...quick check is to mark the coils and then switch them...if the "problem" moves with the coil, replace it.

well everyone, we found the problem withe all of your Help
it was the ignition relay which power the coil and distributor
I was able to find it because the issue got worse and was finally cutting out the dock vs having it unload
A $28 PART
wow..happy boater not just in time for the winter but ready for next summer
��⚓

Good on you for sticking around until the problem was solved...

Hopefully, you have a few notes in your maintenance logbook now...

Back