Logo

Engine replacement and marinization

Neilmg

1978 Ski Nautique 351c, hydro-locked with cracked heads and who-knows what else.
Had two choices: $4,600 for a new engine or watch it rot in a field.

Then, we found a way out. 351w from a Mustang and perfect for a rebuild. This thread will be about rebuilding and marinizing the engine.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, I claim no expertise and will most likely need help.

Engine tear down starts this weekend.
We're underway.

654631929.jpg

Well, it seems that this forum is a mystery. Can't post the pics I need to and can't edit it.
Hopefully the engine build goes better that this.

Attachments

• 654631929.jpg
    654631929.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
surprised you could post any...one normally has to have five posts before you can add pictures.

you can go to the forum home page and scroll down - they have an area where you can practice 'posting pics'...I'd add a couple more dummy posts there and then try adding a pic...once it works there, you can add the 'new' info here...

Ok I think that worked.

This is what's on the intake. I couldn't find any obvious casting marks on the block.
Someone entered into this project and suggested that it might actually be a 302.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
This marking on the block, however is a complete mystery.
I have one person saying it's a 351w and another who thinks it's a 302.

block.jpg

a couple pokes to the www suggest its a 351W part and uses a spreadbore carb...

I can't say - not fluent in older fords used in the marine world...they left that market decades ago...

You want the truck block. Car block has thinner walls and less webbing. Most Nautiques I ever saw had the 302, but yours may be different. A complete remanufactured marine engine is the least painful way to get back in the wet. Rebuilding with machine shop costs about double what you'd pay for a reman. Plus most machine shops are backed up months in advance. If you drop it off now you might see it before spring but not likely. At least that's how it is in my area.

Back