Logo

Soundproofing 1993 15 HP

boatbear

Hi,

has anybody tried to sound proof their outboards? My 2-stroke, 1993 15 HP (E15RETB) is quite loud and it keeps the missus off the boat as she hates the noise. I was wondering whether I could use these anti vibration mats and insulating foam to replace the stock foam? The stock foam is fairly light and probably doesn't do a good job in silencing the cowling.
Im not sure, though that the noise really comes from the cowling and not from the transom or the leg / exhaust. Also, I'm worried about adding any extra thermal insulation. What do you guys think? worth the time and money? Any risk of overheating or is the airflow enough to cool the powerhead?

I bought some sound-proofing material off Amazon and installed it on the underside of cowling for all of my motors. I’d say it dampens the sound about 5-10% at most. The exhaust is the source of most of your noise. I’m not sure installing will have this motor passing your wife’s tests.

the stuff was by “B-quiet” and it was called “extreme sound deadener”

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I made some tests with the cowling off and on. Putting the cowling on reduces noise by half ie 6 dB. Most of it is indeed from the exhaust. There might also be a small leak in the exhaust gasket towards the boat, which migh increase the problem. I guess getting a four stroke is the only real option.

I've insulated a few Johnson/ Evinrudes twins, fairly quiet though as they are, some decent sound deadening will reduce it noticably but it wont be whisper quiet.

Back