Logo

Electronic distributor for the venerable 2.3

fritzl65

I have read the post on this and it is 10 years old.

I am having much distress with the ignition system on my 1988 2.3l.

Finding points has been a chore and the ones that have arrived are without the pivot post.

I have experience with points, albeit it's been over 20 years. Last time I adjusted a set, it was in my Trumph motorcycle... a dual set at that.

I swapped that out for an electronic ignition and went from a 6 to 8 kick bike to a 2 or 3 kicker.

I am now using points from mallory but they are for automotive.

A month has gone by and I am ready to winterize this boat.

Frustration is a weak word for what I am experiencing.

1 What, in detail, is needed to convert this ignition to wlectronic?
2 What is the CDI fix for the ESA? This was stated to be preferred over the "diode" fix...
3 What is the diode fix?

I thank you all for reading.
And more if you can help

Fritz

there are many more posts on this topic than a 10-yr old one...

you need an electronic ignition conversion kit....your favorite search engine can find you many sources.

CDI is an aftermarket source that makes ESA modules compatible with electronic ignition conversion kits...their only drawback is their price.

The 'diode fix' is likely the well known pair of diodes/pair of resistors that provide the ESA function....again, your search engine will help.

Its been years since I did one...FWIW, make sure the advance mechanism inside the distributor is fully functional before starting the conversion...the kit won't do anything to 'help' an impaired advance mechanism...

Thank you for the prompt reply
The advance weights move freely...

I had it running smooth today, and as soon as I attempted restart, it ran as if the ESA was engaged... I checked the switches and that was not it...would not run smooth nor increase in rpm.

I know this engine works as we took the boat out and my neghbot.had to hold on to his hat at 3k rpm...

Well another fly in the ointment...
The poinbts which are installed appear to be standard automotive. I found and ordered 3 OMC originals. When I opened the packaging I noticed that the point did not have pivot post. Upon further searching i noticed that the original OEM mallory points plate doe have the post for these OMC points to be installed on and thereby pivot. This post is missing from my points plate. I am not able to find a replacement plate online so the new points are almost useless to me.
Does anyone know of points which are marine grade which I can use in this application?
Thank you again for reading and sharing your knowledge

F

About the only things I can suggest are to look on ebay for that model Mallory distributor I was able to find a number of ones for my old 4.3 which has the Prestolite points distributor. Then you can use that for spare parts. The other is to find out if you can use the Petronix electronic distributor conversion, in that model distributor. I'd call them and tell them what you have. You will proabably have to change the ESA module to one that will work with electronic distributors.
One last idea, sounds like the post broke off? Correct? I wonder if you could use a machine screw of the right length, drill out the hole where the post used to be and tap it for the thread of the screw. As long as the head of it does not interfere with the advance mechanism below it should work. I would probably invest a few hrs in that project to see if you can make it work.

Last edited:
Frustration is ceasing and I am ready to give it more time....thanks for conform kik ng the bolt idea...I had a few barley pops and thought about it...another person saying it gives me hope.

Back